i7-4700MQ + GTX860M 2GB-DDR5 + Full HD LED AntiGlare vs i7-4710MQ + GTX850M 2GB-DDR3 + Full HD IPS

blaaat

Estimable
Apr 16, 2015
Hello

I'm having a tough choice between 2 laptops.
I'll be using the laptop for work, with mostly many applications running at once, a giant lot of Firefox tabs, some multimedia, ... but as well for playing GTA V.

Here are my two choices:
Laptop 15M55:
CPU: i7-4700MQ (2.4 GHz - turbo to 3.4 GHz)
GPU: GeForce GTX 860M with 2 GB of DDR5 VRAM
Screen: Full HD LED antiglare (so NOT an IPS screen)

Laptop 15CL54:
CPU: i7-4710MQ (2.5 GHz - turbo to 3.5 GHz)
GPU: GeForce GTX 850M with 2 GB of DDR3 VRAM
Screen: Full HD IPS LED

so the 15CL54 has a slightly faster CPU, and a better screen since it's an IPS screen (supposedly they're beautiful!), BUT it has slower DDR3 VRAM on the GTX850M, which is a con for enjoying GTA V... the graphic settings will probably have to be on medium.
On the other hand, the 15M55 has the better GPU, which would enable the graphics on high to very high settings...

I'm wondering if the screen (IPS [with the worser GTX850M] vs standard [with the better GTX860M]) will play a noticable role in playing the game... I'm wondering if I should trade-off for lower graphic detail settings on an awesome IPS screen, or if I should go for high to very high graphic detail settings on a normal LED screen.
How are the normal screens?

And how do the CPU's compare? Will the extra speed be noticable on multimedia use, multitasking, and playing the game?
Will this be noticable compared to the i7-4700MQ?
If I go for the 15M55, will the better GPU help me during multimedia/multitasking? Probably not? GTA V is probably going to be the only game I play...
Note: both laptops have a 128 GB SSD drive for windows and applications (perhaps not the 65GB GTA V game) + a normal HDD for files, and 16 GB (2 times 8 GB) of RAM.

Which one do you recommend for what reason?

It's a tough choice for me with limited experience in hardware :).

Thank you!

Solution
The difference between i7 4710MQ and i7 4700MQ is not really noticeable.
For multimedia, you do not even need extra GPU, the iGPU is enough.
Multitasking relies more on proc and RAM, not on GPU.
For games, you will want more powerful GPU, since games rely more to GPU.
IPS or not IPS is also not that important, GPU is more important.
I would take the one with GTX860M.

guanyu210379

Distinguished
The difference between i7 4710MQ and i7 4700MQ is not really noticeable.
For multimedia, you do not even need extra GPU, the iGPU is enough.
Multitasking relies more on proc and RAM, not on GPU.
For games, you will want more powerful GPU, since games rely more to GPU.
IPS or not IPS is also not that important, GPU is more important.
I would take the one with GTX860M.

Solution

baburajiv2007

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
What do you intend to do with your laptop apart from gaming?
Are you a designer? IF you are, then you'd require an IPS display as has good colour reproduction, and good viewing angles.
If you are not, then the TN display would do just fine.

And if you are analysing your Laptops in a gamers perspective, just go for the better GPU.
The GTX 860m trumps the GTX850m, and goes beyond. You'll be able to almost all games at playable frame rates in FHD.
Check this to get an idea

For the CPU, you wouldn't find much difference between those two.
You will be better off with the better GPU.

If i were you, I would get the GTX 860m laptop, and see if i can replace the TN panel with an IPS panel. Its usually easy. Check on with the manufacturer before hand anyway.

blaaat

Estimable
Apr 16, 2015
Thank you for answering!

I'm not a graphical designer, but I do use Inkscape and Photoshop from time to time... but not professionally.
I'm also not a real gamer, the only game I'll play is GTA V, for all other use it'll be multimedia, work, internet, occasional photoshop edit.

In essence I want a multimedia laptop, but one which will enable me to play GTA V at a reasonable to good performance.

The question was mostly about the whether the TN screen would compromise the better GPU output, which I guess it won't, judging by your answers. The colors might be slightly off on the TN panel but not in a way that it would compromise enjoying a movie.

Replacing screens at the manufacturer or vendor's side isn't an option, and doing it myself isn't either since then I'll be spending something like 1450 euro, which is above my budget (even though I could sell the TN screen then but only at a lower price... second hand.

But 3/3 said I should go for the one with the GTX860M, CPU difference won't matter much, and the screen isn't that important... So I guess I'll go for the GTX860M :).

guanyu210379

Distinguished
In general,
TN panels are faster and this is more important to gamers.
IPS panels have more precise color reproduction (picture reproduction in general) and this is more important for photo/video editing.

The difference between TN and IPS is ignore-able if you are not into serious photo/video editing/gaming.
There is no real need of IPS if you are not doing photo/video editing seriously.