iBGStar Makes Your iPhone a Portable Blood Sugar Meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

hairystuff

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
You can get any number of blood glucose monitors from £10-20 (or free if you're insulin dependent) from omron or any other reputable company with a PC USB interface and free test strips in the UK so I can't see this taking off unless you really iWant it.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
You can get any number of blood glucose monitors from £10-20 (or free if you're insulin dependent) from omron or any other reputable company with a PC USB interface and free test strips in the UK so I can't see this taking off unless you really iWant it.

It is frightening to see all the indirect advertising being done for Apple and their lockyouin and handyourwallet platforms. One only wonders what sort of deals were done behind the scene.

maikerser

Honorable
May 8, 2012
Excellent
hh.gif

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
what is "FDC approved"?
Anyways, sounds like a rip-off for the high prices. A minuscule FSG meter is even easier to carry, cheaper, and if you drop/lose your phone you are not left without such a lifesaving device. This will create more problems than it solves.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]what is "FDC approved"?Anyways, sounds like a rip-off for the high prices. A minuscule FSG meter is even easier to carry, cheaper, and if you drop/lose your phone you are not left without such a lifesaving device. This will create more problems than it solves.[/citation]
I don't know. Thank goodness I'm not diabetic (yet...anyways), but if I were...I'd love something like this. I love tech and I happen to have an iPhone. Now, about the "life-saving" device bit. ...can't say I'd not keep a backup in my backpack. I'd think this could appeal to a lot of folks.

This is actually one of the advantages of the iOS devices. They have an interface so common that different tools for different people can easily be added to them. I guess you have to weigh that against your desire for OS customization but I can see the benefit...and I'm sure a lot of other can as well. I guess they could (and should) do the same thing with Android (they prolly already have) using Micro USB.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
There was a device many years ago that plugged into Palm devices to measure blood sugar. Note that "was" is the operative word here. If you are a diabetic, you still have to carry an extra device everywhere with you in addition to what you already carry. I do not see how this solves the "having to carry along some other device" problem.

In addition, why plug the device into anything? Isn't blue-tooth good enough?

Speaking as a diabetic, I do not see how this solves anything. What is significantly more important is the accuracy and repeatability of the meter. Personally, I would much rather see a blood-sugar meter company focusing on those two items before they focus on the taking advantage of the fad of the day.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]what is "FDC approved"?Anyways, sounds like a rip-off for the high prices. A minuscule FSG meter is even easier to carry, cheaper, and if you drop/lose your phone you are not left without such a lifesaving device. This will create more problems than it solves.[/citation]
Someone obviously made a mistake as I don't think meter manufacturer's submit their devices to their floppy-disk controllers for approval. I am sure the article meant FDA.

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
FDC = FDA. It is a typo I think.
Also, if you already carry your phone, then it is only a small addition to it, as oppose full dedicated system where you would store and process and plot all the data.

Also, if they are not idiots, they likely sink your data with something online or at very least back it up in iCloud automatically, so you do not loose your data.

Is it the next best thing since the sliced bred? No, but it is more convenient than connect to your PC each time to do the analysis. And when you have to do lots of those measurements as a diabetic, it matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.