IBM Leaves Redmond, Pitches Microsoft-free Desktops

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

hip! hip! hooray! not that i am compleatly agaisnt microsoft. i am writeing in vista right now for a fact, but this is great news. with more support there will defently be no reason not to switch to linux.

Mr_Man

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
I'm no Vista hater, and certainly not a Microsoft hater, but I think this is great. As a Linux user, I hope that an influx of Linux PCs will move developers to make games compatible with Linux (without the use of Wine, I mean).
Developers developers developers developers
Developers developers developers developers...

klarkmdb

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
This cyber world definitely need balance. And that balance is Linux together with Windows and Mac OSX. I hope the PC industry does the same too, that means AMD matching Intel. And we would all be happy. ^_^ don't you think?

photographer

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Until they can't get some good driver and peripheral management softwares, Linux is just another waste of time. I've been toying with it since RH4.5 and it has the potential however from little things like configuring dual displays to getting a working drivers that supports my Epson 4490 PHOTO scanner or my Creative X-Fi sound card, it just fails. I'm not going to spend 40+ hours attempting to get an OS to simply work with hardware that's not even "state of the art" really.

As to the Linux activists, they've dropped the ball huge here. Everyone knew that Vista was going to be a mess and if they had some of the issues ironed out a couple years ago, then Linux could have made serious headway into the desktop markets. Instead OSX has garnered some of the glory and MS is patching Vista like a sailor in a badly leaking boat. MS Has done a pretty good job and ensuring their OS'es work best after SP2 so Linux has until that time to make some real progress in the market.

G

the driver problem is like chicken and the egg. people don't want linux because it doesn't have all the drivers and stuff. developears don't make drivers because there are not enough people. on some older hardwere (but fully functional and not behind tehnologicly) you can still have problems finding drivers. again it is not microsoft to blame.

Status
Not open for further replies.