IBM Patents Predator Identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

mosu

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
and now remove the "child" element of this patent and you obtain a plain surveillance tool.It's the kind of stuff big corporations produce, not curious about implementation.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
I don't see anything 'patentable' here.
Hope there is more behind it than just a flow chart outlining common sense actions to inappropriate behavior.

"such as an attack by another avatar, rude gestures by another avatar, stalking"

Can I sue an Avatar ?
Do we deport misbehaving avatars ?

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
.............................................................................................................................

G

So I can be arrested for attacking a child's avatar?
Maybe they should stay out of PvP, then.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
ok time to stop ganking ppl in wow we might get sued also no more pvp :p stupid patents are stupid, this is why america is going to the dogs, every ridiculose idea gets patented the you can sue someone after to get a nice settlement just couse you got a paper for some wague thing that is considerd common sense

serendipiti

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]based on this, big corporations are predators of people[/citation]
Corporations are psychopath (there are some films on that).
"sensors measuring the child's heart rate and breathing rate, a electrical resistance measurement of the child's skin," wow... Now IBM, repeat with me: we don't know anything about how to educate childs, we only know that parents are scared and we want to make money of it.
Patent things that work please, not simple ideas o needs of society that you don't know how to deal with (sorry but if the patent it's so abstract... why don't they include satellite monitoring, camera tracing through security cameras and all the likes invented / imagined for cold war spies...

redeye

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2005
i wonder why the mention of "avatar" any service that uses avaters... (second life etc) bans children (under 16). thus it seems that this patent was filed under the process of why not?.
...we now know how IBM gets the number one spot for patents issued... patent every idea, good or not.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]based on this, big corporations are predators of people[/citation]
they are and have been for a very long time...one good example is google

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
IBM = Patent troll
it was good but now it's looking for patents

i wonder what will happen when there are no more patents to patent

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
[citation][nom]madooo12[/nom]IBM = Patent trollit was good but now it's looking for patentsi wonder what will happen when there are no more patents to patent[/citation]
Then they will probably patent the null patent!

G

A. This sounds more like catching a bully than a predator. Predators pretend to be other children or teenagers, and use deception, not threats and harassment.

B. Analyzing a child's facial expression by camera and heart rate/voice by various sensors is intrusive and not something parents would employ to keep their kids safe, more likely they'll just keep the kids off the computer instead.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Lol and i thought this was something to be used for identifying and recording wildlife...you know, to aid in conservation of endangered predators...

rawful

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
How about just keeping children off the internets? Nothing more annoying than playing an online game and hearing children arguing over voice chat the whole time. I say until you're 18, you are only around to read books, or play outside. The internet is no place for kids.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
soooo are they patenting the way we play SIMS? do they predict humans LIVING in the internet soon and planning ahead to take complete control? oh shit...IBM is skynet....:O

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
anyone else scared of this if it ever gets implemented? some of these things wouldn't even be on the client side, but between the client and the person they are talking to. i was on pain meds a bit back, vicoden 7.5/750 and am looking for an alternative, so if i talk with people online about it, and what possible alternatives i have without acetaminophen in them, i am potentially raided by atf for this.

or lets go this one, if you are in a bar, pick up a woman, take her home, sex, and a week or so latter, you find out she got in with a fake id, do you know there are currently laws that have presidents set that even if they don't look under age, even if they are somewhere where you should still be able to assume age is over 18, you are still held responsible and can and will most likely be charged with statutory rape, if not anything more severe?

i point that out because what did everyone do before they were 21 on the internet? i know i faked my age in to the 50-60 range more than once, my 14 year old brother does the same thing. are we going to be held liable because a kid may be on the otherside of an avatar that we have no way of knowing if its fake or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.