Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Lol. I was like whats new with ice cream sandwhiches.... oh... android. kk
I'm a smartphone noob. :p

The Greater Good

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
[citation][nom]lauroman[/nom]I don't know... We need Hot chocolate in winter, not ice cream.[/citation]

The build names go in alphabetical order, H was already used.

SoiledBottom

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
In other news

Ice cream makers Ben and Jerry's, Bryars Ice cream and Blu Bell Ice cream filed a class action suit against Google for infringement on some shared Ice cream patents.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]The Greater Good[/nom]The build names go in alphabetical order, H was already used.[/citation]
So does that mean for J it will be Jellybean?

Prediction made, watch this space

klavis

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
[citation][nom]subasteve5800[/nom]Still using Froyo on my Droid 2. What good is releasing the updates if the carriers never push them to the devices?[/citation]

Funny thing, the are pushing the update to Gingerbread today, looks like you'll get that update you were complaining about.

dalmvern

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
I am glad they are synching up the versions for phone and tablet, should make it a lot easier for developers so they dont have to do double work and adapt an app to be implemented on both platforms.

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
A mashup of Gingerbread and Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich will run on both tablets and smartphones and is Google's attempt to end this business of every phone running a different version of Android.

I really hope Google can do this.

Will there be unification also for devices with ultra small screens?
Such as e.g. WIMM, website: http://www.wimm.com/apps.html
They say something about Micro apps. (App fragmentation again)

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]subasteve5800[/nom]Still using Froyo on my Droid 2. What good is releasing the updates if the carriers never push them to the devices?[/citation]

THIS!

I use a Palm pre ... yea it's old but it works for now, the onyl thing keepign me from getting an android atm is that carriers and manifacturers don't support them. my wife's samsung intercept and it is still on 2.1 ... nwo you can buy the phone with 2.2 on virgin mobile (her carrier) but i have to root the phone to update it myself possibly brickign it... or wait for the carrier to allow the update... or buy her a new phone with it

this is my biggerst gripe and the reason I am not on android now (aside from liking WebOS better... btu obviously i dont' have this option much longer) . I want carriers and phone makers to be contractually obligated to push updates as soon as they are available... seems now they don't so that peopel have to buy a new phone to get tthe new versions or wait

palladin9479

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]THIS!I use a Palm pre ... yea it's old but it works for now, the onyl thing keepign me from getting an android atm is that carriers and manifacturers don't support them. my wife's samsung intercept and it is still on 2.1 ... nwo you can buy the phone with 2.2 on virgin mobile (her carrier) but i have to root the phone to update it myself possibly brickign it... or wait for the carrier to allow the update... or buy her a new phone with it this is my biggerst gripe and the reason I am not on android now (aside from liking WebOS better... btu obviously i dont' have this option much longer) . I want carriers and phone makers to be contractually obligated to push updates as soon as they are available... seems now they don't so that peopel have to buy a new phone to get tthe new versions or wait[/citation]

The issue is that both carriers and phone manufacturers see the phone OS level as a "feature". If they were to update your wife's phone to 2.2, then there would be less incentive for you to purchase the new shiny model with 2.2 / 2.3. They want people to continue buying a new phone every year, and the best way to do that is to limit the expandability of older phone so that the user is forced to buy new for something as simple as a software update.

Status
Not open for further replies.