Ideal distance to sit from speakers at desk?

Harwin21

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
So I was thinking about getting some new front channel speakers for my computer and was deciding between http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290202&cm_re=polk_audio_monitor_40-_-82-290-202-_-Product or http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AS3X740/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=217AJMYZ60NLU&coliid=I3N1T7RMOAMMW9.

Currently I'm using Dayton B652s with a Pioneer VSX-819H receiver. My speakers sit on the back of my desk and are about 3 feet away from my head.

I was leaning towards getting the Polk ones since they're on sale, but I was afraid because of the size they wouldn't sound great from my usual sitting position since they're so large. I'm still very much a novice when it comes to home audio so any help or advice would be appreciated.

Goodeggray

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
The best speakers for PCs are ones design for nearfield listening. One feature is when more than one driver is used they are very close together. You are right about the Polks with 3 drivers. If you listen too close the sound of each driver does not have the space to blend into a cohesive sound.

Harwin21

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012

Okay well I'll try playing around with my setup right now and see if I can make it more optimal. I just wanted around the same quality sound I get with my living room home theater with my computer when I play games.

ien2222

Distinguished
You can disregard most of Tea Urchin.

Any speakers like those will play just fine at low volumes. In fact, normal listening on a HT where you can have a conversation too you are only providing at most a watt or 2, usually less than a watt though. For instance, the polk you are looking at has a sensitivity of 89dB. That means at 1 meter (you are less than that) at one watt it will play at 89dB.
For me, just normal TV watching I'm using my HT around an average of 80-85dB (though movies and such like I'm above that).

Have you used MCACC with your setup yet? What exactly are you after? More like your HT is a little vague.

I am going to suggest a slightly different upgrade path. Since you have Dayton Audio speakers and parts express sells a lot of drivers for their large number of speaker building customers why not find out if they can suggest a tweeter upgrade that will improve the sound and spend the extra money on a subwoofer. Their speaker building forum might supply some ideas. I think that you might get a better overall improvement for the price range you are considering.