IdeaPad Yoga Pro 2 or ThinkPad Yoga?

maxblitz28

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
I am deciding on a Lenovo 2 in 1 laptop and need some advice.

I basically search the web (at most 5-8 tabs at once), email, type documents, and play games from the app store (because it is a tablet too). I'm looking for a replacement laptop and an upgraded tablet. Business/Leisure.

Pending on which one I choose, I am still deciding on an intel i5 processor or an i7. I'm wondering if the i7 is simply overkill for my uses. I am additionally deciding between 4 gb or 8 gb, along with 128 gb or 256 gb ssd. There are a few choices, arrangements and options. I am trying to spend no more than 1200 dollars.

Both models have their perks,
ThinkPad - I like the extended battery life, lift & lock keyboard, & digitizer pen
IdeaPad - Slightly cheaper (so upgrading to i7 or etc. is more realistic), high res screen

Please any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Generally, I prefer ThinkPad series because they are rugged and durable with a magnesium chassis. The more expensive ThinkPads also has a "water reservoir" which protects the keyboard from spills. Simply shake the water / liquid out of the laptop. Plus ThinkPads come in black.

There is not much of a difference between the Core i5 / Core i7 for ultrabooks. Both are dual core CPUs, but the Core i7 will have higher clockspeed.

Reviews:

ThinkPad Yoga
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1UeogkPyAc

Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzLkihqu4xk

Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga vs. Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro Comparison Smackdown
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLcA9ARsto0

I would go with 8GB because the RAM is soldered in so it cannot be upgraded later.

If I had to choose I would go with the ThinkPad Yoga since it comes with a digitizer which allows me to write notes with a digital pen.

I am kinda interested in the Sony Flip series (13", 14" 15") for a convertible laptop. I don't need one anytime soon so maybe when the 2014 version with Intel's next CPU (Broadwell) comes out. In tablet mode the keyboard is protected by the monitor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxrBLbCggiw

The 13" is the most expensive with a base price of around $1,100; I think. The 14" is the least expensive with a base price of around $750.

maxblitz28

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
Thank you for the response. I will definitely take those into consideration. Its just really hard to find an i5 processor with 8 gb and 256 ssd model convertible model. I believe it can be done with an i5 4300 processor instead of an i5 42000.
You mentioned "broadwell" processors, any idea on when those will be debuting? You have sparked my interest.

And as far as the Sony Flip/ Duo Series, I went into Bestbuy after I narrowed my options down. The Sony Flip 13 inch was on my shortlist, until I put my hands on it. Pro : Great design, very sleek and thin. CON : The keyboard was horrible!
For me, my first priority is a responsive nicely laid out keyboard, I had to sadly cross it off the list immediately or until they fix the keyboard, it just seemed cheap. Especially for the prices Sony is known for.

Broadwell laptops will probably go on sale in Q2 2014. Intel should be starting production in Q1 2014 after a slight delay due to manufacturing yield issues from a die shrink of 22nm to 14nm. Broadwell CPUs are estimated to draw about 30% less power than Haswell CPUs due to the die shrink and additional power savings features. Processor performance increase will probably around 5% and graphics performance is expected to increase by 30% - 40%. Due to lower heat emissions some Broadwell CPUs are expected to be capable of operating without a fan which means less noise.

If the keyboard is the main priority, then get the ThinkPad. ThinkPads are generally known for having the best keyboard in laptops. However, many hardcore ThinkPad users did not like the fact that Lenovo changed the keyboard style a couple of years ago on all ThinkPads. Basically the chicklet (island style) that became popular on consumer level laptops have replaced the more traditional style laptop keyboard ever since the ThinkPad was introduced by IBM way back when...

I have the Lenovo IdeaPad Y470 and I have to say that I don't really like the chicklet style keyboard. Because of the space in between the individual keys I find that I make a lot more typing errors compared to using my IBM ThinkPad T40 from 10 years ago. The ThinkPad T540p sits at the top of my list for next year (something like the Sony Flip would be a secondary laptop) as a replacement for the IdeaPad Y470 and I just hope the keyboard experience will be much better.

maxblitz28

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
Thank you once again.

How about hp split x2 with haswell i5 processor? I have found it on hp's website ( I had to customize it), but thats it. With the price point being around 1000 dollars, I have been throwing this product into the mix of my discussion.

It has been really hard for me to find reviews and spec details about this x2 convertible from hp, but I know its available in the market.