Solved! buying advice needed: i am looking for a convertible laptop with stylus support that is (at least somewhat) ubuntu compatible

Mar 18, 2020
Hello everyone,

since my old laptop probably won't make it past the end of this month i've been scouring the internet all day for a convertible laptop with a touch screen as a replacement.
Because of my very specific needs i've found only the lenovo yoga 920 (version: Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD) as a possible replacement, which is why i am asking for your suggestions; any and all advice is very much appreciated.

The most i'm willing to spend is 1400 $. Also i don't care at all about brands or if the laptop is brand new.

What i absolutely require:
  • it has to be a convertible laptop with a touch screen
  • i'll use it a lot during lectures for easier note-taking and amateurish drawing at home, which is why stylus support (don't care about the brand) and palm rejection for the touch screen is a must (my ipad in combination with the apple pencil kinda spoiled me in this regard)
  • it should be possible to install some linux distro (preferably ubuntu) and have it run somewhat smoothly. Since i plan on using linux only for coding and experimenting with it i don't care if the touchscreen looses it's functionality due to a lack of linux drivers or whatever
  • sturdy hinge that keeps the screen upright at all times (i read that some convertible laptops have issues with this)
  • an at least average keyboard (i loathe awful keyboards with non-responsive and tiny keys)

Bonus points for:
  • good battery life
  • at least 3 USB ports (though USB-hubs are always an option)
  • a proper trackpad
  • it shouldn't overheat easily during regular use, after all i'll spend at least 12 hours a day in front of it
  • at least 8 GB RAM and a mid-range CPU

What i don't care about:
  • screen size (as long as i have at least 13 inches to work with i'm a happy camper) and resoultion
  • graphics card
  • type and size of drive
  • webcam and speaker quality
  • fingreprint reader
  • integrated stylus holder
  • looks/design/colours
  • weight and seize

I'm looking forward to hearing your views on this, and many thanks in advance!

Solution
XPS convertible is also high quality but I don't know how well it can run Linux. Lenovo is one of the top supported brands for Linux in general, and good quality also, can't go wrong with one of those.