IE Flaw Turns Your PC into Public File Server

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

robertking82881

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
this is why i dont use internet explorer. 1st off its only the most common browser used . if your not useing firefox or grome you should be. my os dos not even have any core files to internet explorer its 100% none existent . use's 40mb of ram ware as normal retail . and i used a retail cd key for it so its 100% legal . there is a tiny7 aka windows 7
there is even a windows live cd you can use. meaning it be inpossble to get hackd because a cd cant get any thing bad on it. unless it was infected when your burnd it other then that its good option.

kettu

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
"Given the security issues that has faced Microsoft's Internet browser over the years, surfers should switch to rival software such as Mozilla's Firefox and Google's Chrome."

Come on... Don't give false sense of security to people. If you have a complex enough software, you're bound to have vulnerabilities.

http://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/

Hiniberus

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
[citation][nom]rdawise[/nom]So IE stands for Infinitly Exploitable.....[/citation]

Quoted for great justice.

The company I'm working with ironically use IE as the default browser here as well and XP 32bit as standard OS

kyzar

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
The company I'm working with ironically use IE as the default browser here as well and XP 32bit as standard OS

That would be because XP works and Vista didn't ;) I evaluated Vista for my company, found that several applications and and websites that use certain plugins (Promap being one - the land evaluation site) didn't work, so we had to stick to XP. By the time Vista was corporate-ready (don't even start me on network copying performance), 7 was announced, so once our evaluations of 7 are complete we will skip Vista completely.

There's usually a reason corporations don't immediately jump onto things like a new O/S you know... Being able to continue to make money being the primary one!

Though I did change the default browser to FF, but that doesn't really matter with all the upstream filtering we do anyway.

drksilenc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Same problem at my company of over 10k we have around 4k computers and all are xp sp3 with ie7. funny enough everyone in our it department uses chrome or firefox... at the moment we are testing win7 for all our needs and i personally have been using the beta since its public release. and what do u expect ofcourse you are gonna have holes in an os based off of the ie6 code... time to upgrade and forget about xp

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
I have the perfect solution to be completely impervious to malware. First, enable your firewall and antivirus software. Any will do. Second, disconnect your PC from the internet. Third, go hide under a rock for the next 20 years.

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]I have the perfect solution to be completely impervious to malware. First, enable your firewall and antivirus software. Any will do. Second, disconnect your PC from the internet. Third, go hide under a rock for the next 20 years.[/citation]
Here is another one, it's actually possible although expensive:
Run OS from EEPRON instead of SSD/HDD/other used tech.
This way nothing can change, get fucked up badly.

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
It's time to ditch IE,
sounds a very nice thing for malware-companies.
Easy access to clients, just like a normal ftp-server, well almost.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
According to Microsoft, the FTP-style vulnerability affects consumers using Windows XP and those who have disabled Internet Explorer Protected Mode. "The vulnerability exists due to content being forced to render incorrectly from local files in such a way that information can be exposed to malicious websites," the company said.

Otherwise you have to go to www.hackmycomputer.com. This is nothing at all suprising, if you go to any malicious website, you most likely can be hacked no matter what browser your using. Malicious attacks are designed to attack the most commonly used software, wich leads to attacking IE more than any others, also attacking PC's more than Max.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

necronic

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
I wonder if the market share argument that constantly gets laddled onto any Apple security claim could/would also apply to IE vs FF, Chrome, Opera, and Safari security claims. Somehow I doubt it, but its an interesting thought (to me at least). Usually anyone using IE is either

1) Lacking computer savy, therefore their general security philosophy may be poor (like opening links in emails)

or

2) Working at a business.

In either of these cases these people are way more interesting targets than you would have with say a chrome or opera user.

All signs right now point to IE just being a piece of junk, but it still makes me wonder.

G

LOL!!!!!!!! NTSA just said to park your IE until a fix is out

Status
Not open for further replies.