If i buy an amplifier can i then do away with my soundcard, what's the best setup?

seizetheday4eva

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
Currently I’ve got my computer connected to a set of 5.1 Logitech Z5500 and a ASUS Phobus 5.1 soundcard, running analog which I’ve always been told is better than digital???

Now I’m looking to take the next step and buy an Amplifier, this deal below comes with the Denon-ax2200w and a set of atmos speakers….

Denon AVR-X2200W & Elac Debut 5.1.2 Atmos Speaker Package

Now I’m a newbie when it comes to using Amplifiers so this is where I need your advice, firstly how to get the best sound plugging this up to my computer, I'm assuming the amplifier is better than the soundcard so i can just do away with it and remove it from my PC? Then perhaps connect the Amp to the PC via HDMI? Currently my Titan X is connected to my TV via the graphics card HDMI, how would i connect the amplifier to my computer and TV via HDMI? I do have another HDMI port on my PC's motherboard.

That amp will have HDMI input and output, so you can hookup the PC to the amp via HDMI, and then output from the receiver to the TV via HDMI. Keeping everything digital will give the best sound.

I have a Denon 6.1 setup, you'll enjoy it.

pc->receiver->tv via hdmi out your video card.

is quality better? hard to say there but its at least comparable. its not really possible to use a soundcard in your situation though without taking a downgrade (optical for instance is a downgrade over hdmi)

you will not need your soundcard anymore with such a setup however if you intended to use high end headphones in the future it may be worth having. if that is not in your plans, you could always sell it.