If I delete Windows Server 2012 & 2016 trials from VMWare, does it reset the trial time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

suihcteg

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
The trials for both Windows Server 2012 and 2016 last for 180 days. I've downloaded the iso images off Microsoft's website, but haven't tried them out yet. Right now I'm looking for an entry-level IT job and am probably not gonna take a Microsoft cert test within 180 days. I'd like to tinker around with it on my home lab and learn some on Youtube at my leisure (without being forced to take a cert test 180 days of installing the trial). If I'm using them on VMWare Player, if I delete the Virtual Machine and reinstall it, will it reset the trial time?

Solution
like other versions of windows it will gather information about the computer so when you try to install it again MS server will identify the computer and likely be able to tell if it went through the trial period for windows server before

captaincharisma

Distinguished
like other versions of windows it will gather information about the computer so when you try to install it again MS server will identify the computer and likely be able to tell if it went through the trial period for windows server before

Solution

dabeargrowls

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
If its based off the install (not licensing/tracking via IP) then you can install it as many times as you want if you blow away the whole VM. I would install a far as possible before the clock starts ticking, make a clone, clone the clone when you need to restart.

Status
Not open for further replies.