I'm confused as to which brand is better keeping the specs same. Asus, Acer or Lenovo

Jun 22, 2018
I'm looking for a good i5 8th gen laptop with 8gb RAM, 2gb Nvidia 940mx or 150mx dedicated graphics card and 1tb HDD and SSD slot for future.
I've shortlisted Asus Vivobook series, Acer Aspire 5 series and Lenovo IP 320 series.
I'm not able to decide among these.
Help me decide based on built quality, durability, resale, post sale service and other things.
Thank you

Solution
Built quality and durability: avoid Acer. (personal experiences)
post sale and other things: none of those. You need to go for Lenovo Thinkpad series for excellent post sale service (personal experiences)
Note:
- Lenovo IdeaPad does not have the support level like from the ThinkPad.
- Lenovo Thinkpad is more expensive
- After sale is also only good on Thinkpad.

I I were to choose only among those 3, I would pick ASUS Vivobook, if it is still under €1000.
If I have to spend above €1000, I would buy only Lenovo Thinkpad.

guanyu210379

Distinguished
Built quality and durability: avoid Acer. (personal experiences)
post sale and other things: none of those. You need to go for Lenovo Thinkpad series for excellent post sale service (personal experiences)
Note:
- Lenovo IdeaPad does not have the support level like from the ThinkPad.
- Lenovo Thinkpad is more expensive
- After sale is also only good on Thinkpad.

I I were to choose only among those 3, I would pick ASUS Vivobook, if it is still under €1000.
If I have to spend above €1000, I would buy only Lenovo Thinkpad.

Solution
Jun 22, 2018

Thank You

RaGiN Z

Prominent
Jul 29, 2017
I'm not a huge fan of lenovo... I work in IT in healthcare and we have a bunch of Dells, HP, and Lenovo laptops. The Lenovo is really good but suffers from keyboard wear issues. Nothing that affects the overall use but they just look beat to hell. The Dells I would steer clear of, we have nothing but WiFi and battery issues, from the low to high end models. My favorite are the HPs after removing all the bloatware they wear the best, last the longest, and honestly perform the best. Oh, I have had to send an HP in for warranty service and that was an excellent experience and I had the laptop back in less than 2 weeks.

I have a surface pro personally and its a love hate relationship.

My wife has had two of the HP Spectre 360 units, both i7, one was a 6th gen, and now the 8th gen. Flawless, just don't step on it... or leave it at the foot of the couch at 2am...

I know this may not be related at all, but if Acer's monitors are any translation to be build quality of their laptops, which may not, I would stay away as well.

feelinfroggy777

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016
You are going to find people that have had bad experiences and good experiences with all three companies. I have had many good Acer and Asus products. Never had a Lenovo, but I am sure they are great. All of these products come with a warranty. So if all things are equal, go with the cheapest and the longest warranty.

johncap523

Prominent
Jan 13, 2018
The difference isn't in the brand, but in the line, or series of products. Lenovo, HP, Asus, they all make consumer grade products and commercial or professional lines. An answer above mentions bloatware, well, commercial products do not come with bloatware, consumer models do. I owed and ran an IT services company for 12 years, we built our own desktops and notebooks and we were an authorized service center for Compaq, then HP, as well as some others, so we saw the difference in quality in the components from one line to the next.

So, last year I bought my wife a Lenovo Yoga and myself an HP Spectre 350x. The Spectre has been rock solid and a pleasure to use. The Yoga, along with the horribly misplaced right shift key, has been a bear to keep running, and contrary to both my prior experience with Lenovo service on commercial products, they have not been helpful with this Yoga.

So, my advice is determine which line in each brand is their best or second best, and look at products in that line that suit your needs. And don't be afraid to buy an open box or refurb. There's great value there.

Jun 20, 2018
Lenovo is an IBM (It Broke Monday) "throwaway" divestiture-----------and still is based on the "old" IBM structures. They're ok----------but-----------if I have my druthers--------------I'd go with ASUS, because they've defined their OWN architecture------that works ALL of the time.

johncap523

Prominent
Jan 13, 2018

Most of the people reading this don't even remember when IBM made PCs and laptops... Lenovo is just using the ThinkPad name. There is nothing else that has anything to do with IBM.

Jun 26, 2018
I picked up an Acer E5-575G-57D4 refurb laptop from Amazon about a year ago, and so far it has been awesome! It has everything on your list except the big HD but It comes with an SSD and a slot for a second drive. It games pretty well for a mid-priced machine too.
Check it out on some place like Amazon or Newegg for reviews and more specs.

fil

johncap523

Prominent
Jan 13, 2018

I don't buy anything but refurbs anymore. Any friends who need a PC, they can get a good quality refurb desktop for less than a crappy consumer model and none of the garbage is one it and it will run better and last longer. Just stick with SSDs unless you need huge storage.

inanition02

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011

Agree on the Yoga - I have a Flex and it's much better (if heavier), but agree on the terrible shift key. It seems to be fixed on the new ones.

To the OP - most of the above answers are right - it does really depend on the line you go with. I've had good and bad experiences with every one of the companies you mention in over a decade in IT + personal experience. My favorite maker right now is probably Lenovo, though I've also had a very good experience with a Surface Pro for maximum portability (not right for your ask). The new HPs are really nice in the Spectre series as are the higher end Asus models, Acer's fallen a bit behind I think - recent ones aren't the value that the older models were and aren't as nice as things they're competing against..

Net net, I'd go with either the Lenovo (but step into the 720 series if you can...) or the Asus higher end Vivobooks.

johncap523

Prominent
Jan 13, 2018

Acer has no foothold in the American corporate world so their focus is consumer products. Our laptops that we used to “build” were mostly on Asus chassis. We had zero problems with them. Of course I got out of the business 13 years ago...

I love my Sceptre even though I still primarily use my first gen i7 that was built as I was selling my business. It’s old but with the addition of an SSD it still runs pretty well for business needs.