I'm having internet problems after connecting a new microphone. Why is this happening?

Apr 11, 2020
Every time I've connected a microphone to my PC, it causes my computer to undergo huge lag spikes that happen every 5 - 20 seconds. The lag spikes only last about 3 seconds, but it keeps happening and I have no idea how to fix it. This problem has only been happening recently, within the last several weeks.

Specs:
Motherboard - ASRock B450M Pro
CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G
Ram: G.Skill Aegis 2x8gb @ 3000 MHz
GPU: Nvidia 1060 3gb
PSU: EVGA 400w 80+

Microphone: Blue Yeti
USB Dongle: TP-Link TL-WDN4200

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Do you have the mic and USB wi-fi adapter connected to front panel (front/top of case) or rear panel (connected directly to the motherboard) ports?

If front panel, move to the rear. Front panel wiring can have issues carrying proper power with some devices, especially when using more than one.

Apr 11, 2020
I've tried moving my WiFi Dongle to the rear panel, but the problem persists. I should mention that when I stream in Discord, either by screen sharing or using the Go Live feature it stabilizes the connection and I have no internet issues.

Apr 11, 2020
Yes, and yes the problem persists for a couple of hours but eventually goes away. I used the mic from my VR headset and I had no internet issues.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
If other mics work properly and the rest of your system (other than the Blue Yeti) performs as it should, it would imply an issue with the BY itself.

Just as an aside, when you installed the BY, did you install any additional software? Have you scanned your system for malware recently?

When recording with the BY, do you save files locally or at a networked location (in the "cloud")?

Apr 11, 2020
It's been happening with all USB Microphones. It happened with a Samson Meteor Mic about a week ago which broke (which is why I'm using a BY atm). It has been happening though for several weeks before my previous USB Mic broke. I might've downloaded something and I would like to do a malware scan, I'm just not sure what program to use for scanning.

I also save recordings locally.

Apr 11, 2020
Malwarebytes is what I use.

I unfortunately wasn't able to figure out what happened, so I tried to format my drives after backing up my important stuff. The problem vanished after I installed a fresh installation of windows, so I'm assuming it was a virus or malware that the scans couldn't find. I don't know, I'm just happy it's working again. Thank you for the help, I really appreciate it!