I'm looking for a gaming laptop under 2,000$

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kekorepeleco

Estimable
Apr 22, 2014
Hey guys, I need a gaming laptop under 2,000 Canadian Dollars, I need it for gaming on Ultra (GTA 5, Garry's Mod, CS:GO, TF2, Fallout 4, Half Life, etc) and editing 1080p and 4K video with Vegas Pro and Adobe Premiere. I was originally looking at the Razer Blade Pro, but I have decided to see what you guys recommend on here. There are also some features that I would like on a laptop too (Not all of them are needed), A 4K display, Mechanical or really good keys, a good built in mic (I have a Blue Yeti but this is for when I don't have it), an SSD for the OS and applications, back lit keyboard, 5GHz WIFI, more than 16GB of ram, and the capability of playing VR and games on Ultra.

Thanks for the help guys.

Chugalug_

Estimable
Overclocked laptop CPU, gonna stop you right there.
That thing's gonna thermal throttle like no tomorrow.
For a start, it costs $200 more, for that price I can easily get a 6700k, a Z170 board and a better cooler all while keeping it cheaper than a laptop.
If you're rendering, laptop CPUs are just a nightmare, its an oven which'll take a long time anyway, just look at the above comment.

King Dranzer

Estimable
Aug 16, 2016
If CPU has to thermal throttle ASUS would not recommend to OC it to 4GHz in the first place. This laptop is made for crazy OC there fore it is named OC Edition. And yes it has great cooling system to support the promises it made.

If it was 6months before then I would have agreed that Laptops are crap when rendering in comparison to GPUs but last 6months changed every thing lot of crazy stuff has happened. Especially CPU and GPU architecture have been through a milestone. This laptop performs as good as i7-6700 desktop for rendering and is portable.

There is a difference in i7-6700K and i7-6820HK(which is not very big as it was with previous gen laptop CPUs) but in return we are getting a portable workstation which can be carried anywhere. For people who want to use system while traveling and want to access it in different places for different purposes it is the best suited option.

Kekorepeleco

Estimable
Apr 22, 2014

I have really been looking at getting a 2016 Razer Blade Pro, does anyone know how much it costs?, and when its gonna be released? It looks like an extremely powerful laptop

Chugalug_

Estimable
Please OP, I'm urging you not to spend your money on a gaming laptop, even with the improved GPU performance.
Just answer me one question; where are you going to be doing your rendering?
Why do you need to use your laptop on the go?
I get it; you want to get it on your PC ASAP after you film, but you're going to be doing the actual work at home no?
You're not going to be sitting in a park etc. using adobe premier for hours on end.
A mini ITX PC in an extremely small form factor as listed above is the best option for you I believe.
Better value, better colors, better performance, better thermals, not really any downside imo.

Kekorepeleco

Estimable
Apr 22, 2014

My only problem is that I travel alot, i'm pretty much on a plane every month. It would just be unjustifiable to take a Desktop PC and a 4K monitor with me everywhere I go.

Kekorepeleco

Estimable
Apr 22, 2014

Can anyone suggest a the best gaming/performance laptop under 2,000$ Canadian?, so I can compare to a desktop?

Kekorepeleco

Estimable
Apr 22, 2014

I have a question, I've got about a little more than a year of high school left, Aside from gaming and editing, I need a PC that I can take to school everyday. Sure, I agree with your point, why not just edit at home, or do your gaming at home. But, I have no way of carrying a monitor, a keyboard, a mouse, and, the PC itself. (To high school everyday) And most of the time I don't always have a power source, so I need something with a battery in it. Yes, I understand gaming/editing on a laptop battery is ridiculous, because it would probably on last about an hour or so, but, I'm sure if put it into power saving mode isn't gonna effect the performance on writing on Google Docs, I can probably get at least 2-3 hours out of that. I'm not against desktop PCs or anything, i'm just saying right now it's not gonna work for me, I really need a laptop that will last at least a year. The Razer Blade Pro (2016) is EXACTLY what I need. But at that price, I really can't afford it.
I hope you understand.

Chugalug_

Estimable
Should have said so, the Razer Blade Pro and the laptops mentioned all have terrible battery life.
What are your thoughts on getting a desktop PC for home and a laptop for school?
I can make it quite cost effective while maximising performance.
Do you still need the desktop PC to be portable?
Do you still want that portable tablet monitor thing?

Chugalug_

Estimable
Laptop to buy: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834266389
PC: PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($395.74 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler ($48.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($88.50 @ Vuugo)
Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: OCZ TRION 150 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($84.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($62.94 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB SC GAMING Video Card ($259.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Silverstone RVZ01B Mini ITX Desktop Case ($109.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($106.33 @ DirectCanada)
Monitor: Asus MG24UQ 23.6" 60Hz Monitor ($449.98 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $1692.44
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-03 21:32 EDT-0400

Kekorepeleco

Estimable
Apr 22, 2014

Thanks for doing the research on all of that, but I still think a laptop would be better than having two computers, I really like having everything on one PC, I used to have a laptop and a desktop, but I hated it because I could not have everything on the desktop on the laptop and vice versa. Considering I travel alot, carrying around a desktop and a monitor (even if they are together) is just not really an option for me. I'm pretty much always out of the house so I need something that just fits in my backpack (my current laptop is 17 inches and fits fine) that I can take everywhere, i'm not really worrying about battery life right now. Are there any laptops like the Razer Blade Pro (2016) that have Mechanical keys a 4K display and RGB keys? (Not even necessary just an advantage) I'm so out and about that I always have my laptop with me. Hell, i'm typing on my laptop right now, and i'm not even at a table. I hope you understand the portability is a big issue for me, I would rather just have one powerful PC than have a laptop that can't run jack sh*t and yet have a desktop at home that can run everything. If anyone on here can recommend a laptop under 2,000$ Candian Dollars that can edit 4K and maybe even play games @ 4K? (Not needed) Thanks for the suggestions but I really need a editing/gaming rig that I can use anytime I go somewhere. I'm so crazy about this portability thing that instead of playing my 3DS on a airplane, I plug in my Wii U, and play it. Call that absurd.

Kekorepeleco

Estimable
Apr 22, 2014

Right now i'm debating between the

Asus ROG G752VS-XB78K Overclocked Edition vs the ASUS ROG GL502VS-DB71, which is better performance wise? the Asus ROG G752VS-XB78K is gonna cost exactly 3,593.66 CAD vs the ASUS ROG GL502VS-DB71 which is gonna cost around 2,582 CAD. What should I get?, should I invest the extra 1,000?

TRENDING THREADS