I'm looking for a super budget "gaming" Laptop.

testtube5

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
So...I don't want to spend more than 400$ on this Laptop.

Basically my real question is...How good are integrated graphics on CPUs?

I know they *suck* compared to a dedicated graphics card but...

Will I be able to play say...the games a tad less demanding than the AAA games, at 1080 (or even 720p, I don't care) at the lowest possible settings with JUST integrated graphics?

Solution
This may ultimately come down to semantics: Technically, most IGPs will be able to send video signals to the display, i.e. the game will 'play', but even with all manner of back-scaling in the settings menu, it's not going to be a very enjoyable experience. You'll basically be watching a grainy slide-show with massive audio stutter and repeated crashes. And with some AAA titles the IGP won't be able to open even the initial load screen (e.g. Batman: Arkham Knight, GTA V or FallOut 4).

Your $400 budget puts you in the market for light Chromebooks, gutted-out Windows laptops designed for basic web-surfing only, and refurbished dual-core business laptops. None of these computers is designed for anything more sophisticated than watching...
You don't use the Intel GPU for gaming, you use the more powerful AMD or Nvidia discrete GPU which all games-capable laptops need to have. The Intel one is just there for normal Windows use since it uses less power so the battery lasts longer.

So whatever you do don't buy a cheap laptop which only has an integrated GPU. I'm not even even a gamer but I still need a discrete GPU on my laptop because I use Photoshop.

Dragos Manea

Estimable
Mar 30, 2015

Actually there is one possibility but dont know if it is on the market, ryzen cpu with vega integrated gpu notebook, in benchmarks it is stronger then some dedicated videocards.

testtube5

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013

So you're saying I can't play ANY modern games with integrated graphics? Even on the *lowest possible* settings / at 720p?

Or...how about games from like 2000-2010?

This may ultimately come down to semantics: Technically, most IGPs will be able to send video signals to the display, i.e. the game will 'play', but even with all manner of back-scaling in the settings menu, it's not going to be a very enjoyable experience. You'll basically be watching a grainy slide-show with massive audio stutter and repeated crashes. And with some AAA titles the IGP won't be able to open even the initial load screen (e.g. Batman: Arkham Knight, GTA V or FallOut 4).

Your $400 budget puts you in the market for light Chromebooks, gutted-out Windows laptops designed for basic web-surfing only, and refurbished dual-core business laptops. None of these computers is designed for anything more sophisticated than watching YouTube videos and Netflix movies. Some 2D platformers will work OK, and some strategy games such as Civ III should be playable but even that is probably going to involve low settings.

Solution