I'm old and need help!

InMesa

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2014
My 3.5 yr. old unlocked $200 Huawei Mate 2's ( 16 GB/2GB) screen is popping out and fading so I need to buy a new phone (sad). I want to switch to Verizon for better coverage here in AZ and need to purchase a new phone. Huge chunks of AZ, some pretty good sized towns only have Verizon coverage. My criteria is:

- $200-$400, cheaper is better, but I'm looking for best value. The more I spend the longer it better last.
- a big screen close to 6" or bigger
  • a decent camera (better than the Mate 2's 13 MP) that doesn't lag when pressing the shutter button
  • NO GLASS BACK! (I drop my phone almost daily, throw it in my backpack when hiking, and I'm reading they can crack in the heat - I live in AZ) I KNOW I will break it, even if it's in a case.
  • I want it to have all the bands to use with Verizon (I realize they are doing away with cdma) because that's the reason why I'm switching. I haven't found a way to figure out which bands are used where. So from whistleout.com, 15 APR 2019, I need 4G bands 2, 4, 5, 13 (main essential band), 66
  • unlocked? I'm so confused if I need unlocked or not anymore.

I would love another Huawei, but Verizon told me they won't accept them for some reason that was above her pay grade. I looked at the $300 Moto G7 and it would be perfect, except for the glass back. The Pixel 3A XL is $479 and unless it can last 6+ years it seems high priced and the camera kept moving when trying to center the subject along with the lag in processing the image (unless this was some setting I wasn't aware of - I was in the store). Also not happy that it has no water resistance at all for the price. I looked at the Sony Xperia 10/Plus and it gets bad reviews from what I have read. The Nokia 7.1 has the glass back. I feel like I have to pay an extra $179 to get a plastic phone.

I am using about 25 GB of space now (with SD card), so I'm thinking a 64 GB would be ok. 3 or 4 GB RAM should be adequate for my purposes. I don't need NFC, rarely use any earphones of any sort. SD slot isn't necessary if phone has enough space. I don't care about notches or looks, I want quality and functionality. I want it to make good phone calls, listen to podcasts, have good navigation/gps (my Mate 2 drops gps signal always when really need it), Facebook, Chrome browser, a few simple games.

Verizon tells me to get the IMEI # BEFORE I buy the phone to check compatibility, though I can't imagine a big seller providing that info. Amazon keeps
showing me "no warranty" "international" phones.

Can someone offer some advice??? Or I buy a cheap phone, stick with AT&T, and make due until someone makes a phone for me. The carriers, phone sellers, make it so difficult to match up phones and service. Why won't Verizon take Huawei phones? I'm older and not a techy and don't have a teenager to help me.

Should I just fork over the $479 for the Pixel 3A XL? Is that my only choice?

About Huawie phones, https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/15/tech/trump-executive-order-telecom-security/index.html They are linked to the Chinese government. Which is pretty much like being a company run by the mob.

If you want a rugged phone for Verizon for about $400 look for a Samsung Galaxy Active phone, probably would have to look for a used 7 or 8 model, but those are not much worse than the new phones. And get a case for protection. Phones are not made to be handled roughly now, they have too much tech packed in a small space, screen and fancy design to be as solid as the old phones.

InMesa

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2014
I'm aware of the "spying" issue, but then isn't everything tech spying on us? There are no "good guys" left, imho.

That phone would sound great, except it would need to have band 13. According to Whistleout.com (they have some great articles!), I need LTE bands 2, 4, 5, 13*, 66, with 13 being Verizon's main and critical band. Whistleout also states newer devices get better coverage, "This is because they have the radio technology to tap into newer, faster "spectrums" rolled out by carriers. So newer devices will be more apt to work on different carriers."

I'm retired, so I 99% of the time I am on my home's wifi, but last summer I went camping/hiking with a group near Show Low, AZ, a good sized town. On the way home, the A/C went out in my car. 4 hour drive in 120 degree heat is not fun, but a bigger concern is I had my four dogs with me. I didn't have cell service to contact anyone. That really scared me, because what if I did break down? I don't need much data service, 2 GB would be more than enough, having coverage here in Arizona is important. Other than that (and that their maps are outright lies), I've been satisfied with AT&T's service.

I'm aware of the "spying" issue, but then isn't everything tech spying on us? There are no "good guys" left, imho.

That phone would sound great, except it would need to have band 13. According to Whistleout.com (they have some great articles!), I need LTE bands 2, 4, 5, 13*, 66, with 13 being Verizon's main and critical band. Whistleout also states newer devices get better coverage, "This is because they have the radio technology to tap into newer, faster "spectrums" rolled out by carriers. So newer devices will be more apt to work on different carriers."

I'm retired, so I 99% of the time I am on my home's wifi, but last summer I went camping/hiking with a group near Show Low, AZ, a good sized town. On the way home, the A/C went out in my car. 4 hour drive in 120 degree heat is not fun, but a bigger concern is I had my four dogs with me. I didn't have cell service to contact anyone. That really scared me, because what if I did break down? I don't need much data service, 2 GB would be more than enough, having coverage here in Arizona is important. Other than that (and that their maps are outright lies), I've been satisfied with AT&T's service.

There is a difference between Google and other companies using tracking for ads and helping with location services like GPS and finding things in your area, and a company secretly installing chips to steal info and passwords to send to a country spy agency without you knowing about it.

Unless you just get a case, the only non-industrial rugged phone I know is that Galaxy Active model. If they have it as Verizon branded, it will work with Verizon. If you are OK with AT&T then just get any unlocked phone and use a good case.