I'm planning on buying this computer, am I not seeing something?

Solution
About the hard disks: No, a 500GB SSD isn't "better" than a 1TB HDD - it's just faster because there are no moving parts in an SSD (Solid-State Disk). This means that your computer will boot faster, applications will load faster, and file transfers will also be completed much faster. Although this does require at least SATA 2, ideally SATA 3. Modern laptops are all SATA 3-configured so replacing the mechanical HDD in this HP with an SSD will make quite a difference.

Again, there's nothing wrong with the HP - and my comments only reflect nit-picking - but if you can get your hands on an SSD I guarantee you it will be worth the money.

Hope this helps,
GreyCatz.
Are you buying this HP in Perú? If so, the listed price translates into USD744 which seems reasonable enough.

Going by the detailed specs from this HP page:
https://support.hp.com/pe-es/document/c05552650

... there are a few points to comment on. The display is only 768p and the GPU is an AMD unit. If you can find a version with a 1080p display - and the same CPU - it will offer a better viewing experience on a 15.6" screen (even if it means losing the touch functionality). And even if it doesn't have a dedicated GPU, the HD 620 IGP found in the 7th gen CPU will give you almost the same amount of graphics power as the AMD unit in the current HP.

I don't know the cost-of-living index in your country and components that are cheap where I live may be prohibitively expensive in your neck of the woods. But you might want to get a 256GB SSD instead of the mechanical HDD - it will be so much faster.

Other than that, it's a fine machine.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

eriess2010

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017

Well, the price is on COP (Colombian Peso) so its around 700-800 USD. And SSD and HDD are different? So if I had a 500GB of SDD would it be better than 1TB of HDD? I guess it would be since I dont need that much space for games and I dont do recording or things by those lines. I appreaciate your response though, laptops are pretty scarce here so I won't have any options. And amazon nor newegg arent an option aswell.

About the hard disks: No, a 500GB SSD isn't "better" than a 1TB HDD - it's just faster because there are no moving parts in an SSD (Solid-State Disk). This means that your computer will boot faster, applications will load faster, and file transfers will also be completed much faster. Although this does require at least SATA 2, ideally SATA 3. Modern laptops are all SATA 3-configured so replacing the mechanical HDD in this HP with an SSD will make quite a difference.

Again, there's nothing wrong with the HP - and my comments only reflect nit-picking - but if you can get your hands on an SSD I guarantee you it will be worth the money.

Hope this helps,
GreyCatz.

Solution