Importing MiniDV to Laptop with only USB

crios42

Commendable
Oct 14, 2016
I hope I have this posted in the correct section. I did a search and found posts from a couple of years ago and this thread but it didn't really address my issue.

I have a Lenovo Yoga 720. It has two USB 3.0 and 1 type-C that can do USB 3.1. I would like to import a number of MiniDV tapes to my this laptop. The MiniDV camera has an IEEE 1394 (4 pin) connection. So my first question is, can anyone recommend a piece of hardware to connect the camera to my laptop? I've looked at a few but I get the feeling I might be playing a guessing game with trying to find something that works. I'm hoping someone here knows some reliable hardware that will reliably get the job done.

My second question is, does anyone know a piece of software that I could use for importing. Something robust that will not drop an import when the tape goes all fuzzy. I was using an old Macbook Pro with a piece of software called Lifeflix. It was dead simple and it would keep importing no matter what happened to the tape (some of them are getting pretty fuzzy and staticy). I was using iMovie for a little while but I found it kept dropping imports and I would end up with only 15 minutes of an hour long tape. It was really frustrating. I do have access to CC Premiere Pro but from what I have read, it may not import with a USB connection.

So there are my two questions.

• Can anyone recommend a piece of hardware to connect the camera to my laptop?
    Does anyone know a piece of software that I could use for importing. Something robust that will not drop an import when the tape goes all fuzzy.
Thanks

Solution
What is the make and model of the camera? Is the recording SD or HDV?

You will need to find a video capture device to act as a go between the camcorder and computer. You may have to get a used one like the Canopus ADVC-100.

You might be able to find an older Pinnacle Studio MovieBox like this one:
31%2BBPRbaPhL.jpg

Another possibility is the ADS Tech PYRO.