Solved! Improve Voice Recognition on 2016 Samsung TV

Fridayrider

Commendable
Jan 23, 2017
I want to improve the voice quality on my home theater system--to make up for age-induced hearing loss. The sound menu on my 2016 SUHD Samsung TV does not offer equalization. My Onkyo receiver offers limited adjustment of the "tone" but has little effect to increase mid-range frequencies for voice recognition.

Is there a hardware equalizer solution that can be introduced between the TV and receiver using a digital audio connector?

Solution
The is no EQ that connects between the digital audio output of the TV and the receiver. It would have to perform the surround sound processing before it could affect the sound.
I can think of two possible solutions.
1. Get a better quality center channel speaker. Lower quality home theater speakers are designed to impress you how loud they play not how clear they are at low volumes. High end speaker companies all make center speakers to match their stereo speakers. Theirs will generally be clearer especially as low volumes.
2. You could use a standard analog EQ on the center channel if you had an external power amp to drive it. If the receiver has a line level center channel output then that would connect to the EQ and the EQ output...
The is no EQ that connects between the digital audio output of the TV and the receiver. It would have to perform the surround sound processing before it could affect the sound.
I can think of two possible solutions.
1. Get a better quality center channel speaker. Lower quality home theater speakers are designed to impress you how loud they play not how clear they are at low volumes. High end speaker companies all make center speakers to match their stereo speakers. Theirs will generally be clearer especially as low volumes.
2. You could use a standard analog EQ on the center channel if you had an external power amp to drive it. If the receiver has a line level center channel output then that would connect to the EQ and the EQ output would go to the amp. If your receiver only has speaker level center channel out then you would need a speaker to line level converter.

Solution

Fridayrider

Commendable
Jan 23, 2017
"The is no EQ that connects between the digital audio output of the TV and the receiver. "

"Get a better quality center channel speaker."

"With surround I agree with above, a better center channel maybe the ticket. "

Thanks for the advice. I have a pretty good center speaker (Klipsch), so not the problem. I have 7.1 surround sound.

It seems that hardware solution is not available. Is it possible that Samsung will add a software update for the high-end television?

Hardware solution not available? Nothing money cannot solve. :)

I have an Emotiva UMC200 7.1 Preamp, it's now discontinued but should see people selling theirs used for usd$300+, it's got a 11 band parametric eq for each speaker.

Here PIC (may need Google account to view)