Impulse Sues Microsoft Over Kinect

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Yet another company trying to claim it invented something a multi billion dollar company did and is hoping for a settlement just for cash.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]Impulse_Sucks[/nom]Yet another company trying to claim it invented something a multi billion dollar company did and is hoping for a settlement just for cash.[/citation]
said it before i could. Can we please just ban suing over patents? I think we'd get more done having it banned than not.

opmopadop

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Just read the patent descriptions, sounds like the Wii controller and PS3 Move are in the same boat. Prepare to get sued lol

G

Impulse_Sucks: Microsoft does this exact same thing all the time. If not for suing competitors into submission, they wouldn't have 90% of the desktop OS market. These are the same douches that are demanding handset makers pay them royalties for using Android, because Android allegedly violates 200 unspecified patents.

waethorn

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]chickenhoagie[/nom]said it before i could. Can we please just ban suing over patents? I think we'd get more done having it banned than not.[/citation]

Um, you're siding with someone that is preferring that Microsoft hold the patent, and yet at the same time you want to ban patent lawsuits? So in your opinion, is the patent owned by Impulse or Microsoft? What if Microsoft sued Impulse instead? Why would you take sides with the other commenter?

Patent litigation is part of the working world. If you come up with some great idea, and figure that you could make millions on productizing it, why would you let someone else copy your work and squeeze you out of the market? R&D costs money. Not protecting that investment is just bad business.

waethorn

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]Impulse_Sucks_Sucks[/nom]Impulse_Sucks: Microsoft does this exact same thing all the time. If not for suing competitors into submission, they wouldn't have 90% of the desktop OS market. These are the same douches that are demanding handset makers pay them royalties for using Android, because Android allegedly violates 200 unspecified patents.[/citation]

Sorry, but they weren't unspecified. Unspecified TO YOU, maybe. But not to the parties involved.

mrmez

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
[citation][nom]chickenhoagie[/nom]Can we please just ban suing over patents? I think we'd get more done having it banned than not.[/citation]

Why have patents then?

Theres no reason to pump billions of dollars into R&D if someone in China is just going to copy you the instant you release a product. The only reason companies take such risks and develop such amazing new technology is they know they are protected from being copied.

I agree the situation is a bit ridiculous with everyone suing everyone else, maybe there needs to be a review of how patents get issued to prevent vague confusing descriptions.

At the end of the day there are so many patents, companies would have to spend millions a year on patent research teams to make sure they don't violate any patents.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
You know what it is...... All these people keep getting idea's, then patenting them, then leaving them on the back burner till something similar comes along, so that they don't need to do the footwork, so instead of building there own device and bringing it to final production, and proving it works, instead they wait for someone else to build something similar, and sue them to make money instead of going through the work to build and sell it themselves. It's a patent scam if you ask me.

There should be a law that states that, when multiple people come up with the same idea, and one person carries it out first, then the patent should go to that person, because it benefits the community more then if someone just patents it and forgets about it until another party brings it to the market so they can get sue happy, Or prove that you have work in progress.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
[citation][nom]upgrade_1977[/nom]You know what it is...... All these people keep getting idea's, then patenting them, then leaving them on the back burner till something similar comes along, so that they don't need to do the footwork, so instead of building there own device and bringing it to final production, and proving it works, instead they wait for someone else to build something similar, and sue them to make money instead of going through the work to build and sell it themselves. It's a patent scam if you ask me. There should be a law that states that, when multiple people come up with the same idea, and one person carries it out first, then the patent should go to that person, because it benefits the community more then if someone just patents it and forgets about it until another party brings it to the market so they can get sue happy, Or prove that you have work in progress.[/citation]

Exactly. . .there needs to be some sort of "show me yours" clause to file a patent dispute. Impulse says "hey! these guys are using our patent in the Kinect!" the first thing the judge should say is "OK, well let me see your patented version of it in action".

The first person that builds an actual working Lightsabre like in the movies will die penniless because George Lucas will sue the pants off him and win.

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]Exactly. . .there needs to be some sort of "show me yours" clause to file a patent dispute. Impulse says "hey! these guys are using our patent in the Kinect!" the first thing the judge should say is "OK, well let me see your patented version of it in action".The first person that builds an actual working Lightsabre like in the movies will die penniless because George Lucas will sue the pants off him and win.[/citation]

There are certain laws and systems involve in patents, and that the system really sucks, so don't blame the people. Much like the old guy Leroy Fick in Michigan that has already won U$ 2 Million in lotery, but still getting free food or food stamps because the law allowed him to do so.

I guess the system should be reviewed and revised.

G

Sick of these companies who would never release a product, who envisioned something entirely different, and who had none of their data directly taken getting to get pay days because they thought of something similar one time.

Patents should have to require that a product based around the patent be on the market within less then 5 years. If a company does not take a product to market in a reasonable time frame they don't deserve to hold a patent on it.

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
The first patent was submitted in '98, the rest are just variations of the first and just as vague. I don't think they ever had a clue how to build a 'kinect'.

growup

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
I'm sure if people didn't have greedy minds and patents, I'm sure I'd be teleporting from home and work due to innovations and technological breakthroughs. You know, lets all work together now, oh f#$*& it ima f@#$*& you until your last penny is gone. mwahaaha >:)

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Waethorn[/nom]Patent litigation is part of the working world.[/citation]
Yet it's only US, where you can patent vague ideas.
Ever heard of patent trolling in EU?

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]Yet it's only US, where you can patent vague ideas.Ever heard of patent trolling in EU?[/citation]
Have you ever seen a patent document? Otherwise you would know what you are talking about

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Have you ever seen a patent document? Otherwise you would know what you are talking about[/citation]
I have seen "OMG you've infringed gazillion of our patents" only in US. I've seen multi-touch disabled when delivery point is US.
Oh, and I've seen "patents" themselves. "Saving... using XML", brilliant.

The fact that you fail to acknowledge, that there is something terribly wrong with US patent system, only makes it worse. First step to solve the problem, is to realize, that it exists. You aren't even there yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.