In-ear vs over-hear headphones

Delhu

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
Hi guys,

First, yes I know, I am comparing apples and oranges but I don't really know what to choose.
I currently own a dt 990 pro (with a magni 2) that I use on my desktop for gaming and listening to some music and I love this pair of cans. Now I am looking for another audio device to use with my laptop at home when in bed, or while traveling (laptop or ipod), and ultimately with a ps4k.
For these situations, I currently use the in-ear headphones that came with my galaxy s4 but they are neither comfortable nor sounding great.
To sum up, I am looking for either closed back low impedance headphones, either in-ear headphones. I've narrowed my search to the ath-m50x and the beyer dx 160 ie (any suggestion is appreciated :) ) though I still don't know whether I should go with over-ear headphones or in-ear.

Thanks for your help,
Delhu

Solution
keep in mind there are 3 types of in ears to consider.

earbuds, canalphones and iems. earbuds sit on your ear outside the canal and can be uncomfortable however they have good staying power. canalphones sit inside your ear and are more comfortable but can slip out. iems sit down in your canal and while they may be more bassy and isolating not everyone is comfortable with something down in their ear like that.

actually, iems will block far more noise than closed over ears.

which is best? depends on what your needs are. in ears are lighter, cooler to wear than over ears. normally they are easier to power and drive as well. over ears do not get gunked up though can be hot if you have closed cans. the m50x is going to be hot for long...
keep in mind there are 3 types of in ears to consider.

earbuds, canalphones and iems. earbuds sit on your ear outside the canal and can be uncomfortable however they have good staying power. canalphones sit inside your ear and are more comfortable but can slip out. iems sit down in your canal and while they may be more bassy and isolating not everyone is comfortable with something down in their ear like that.

actually, iems will block far more noise than closed over ears.

which is best? depends on what your needs are. in ears are lighter, cooler to wear than over ears. normally they are easier to power and drive as well. over ears do not get gunked up though can be hot if you have closed cans. the m50x is going to be hot for long periods of time (i have the m50s and while i like it they do get hot after some time).

generally i like in ears for activities like running, walking, biking, using the gym for heat control and convenience while i like over ears for home use.

Solution

anonymousdude

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
In ear comfort varies from person to person. It usually amounts to if you can find a tip that is comfortable. Anyways for traveling I personally like in ears as in IEMs. They are just easier to carry around and isolate much better. However on-ears are also an option. Generally lighter than over-ears and if you don't like sticking things in your ears they are still reasonably light to wear and carry around.