In preparation to Windows 10 + upgrade on SSD

Larhalt

Estimable
Mar 17, 2014
Hi Guys!

I was planning to upgrade my SSD of 128gb to a samsung 850 EVO of 500gb (and just bought it today), and at the same time I've been anxiously waiting for the release of Win 10 but a little worried about possible problems or incompatibilities; so I was thinking that maybe I could clone my old 128gb to the new 500gb and leave the old SSD as a backup with windows 8.1 (just for a few weeks) while I do the upgrade to win 10 on the new SSD..

Sorry for so many explanations, my question is, in case of problems or if I don't like win 10 at all can I just swap the old disk back and be back to the way it was on win 8.1 just like I left it? or there could be any problems?

I have a major phobia to having to reinstall windows because I have so many programs and configurations and I'd hate to lose a single one of them during a reinstallation... what could be the best option?

thanks a lot guys!

Solution
if you clone it then upgrade to windows 10 it should have the option to roll back to 8.1 if you dont like it

the previews i have tested allowed doing it when i did in place upgrade
Assuming the OP has a desktop then I suppose he can install the 128GB and 250GB SSD in the desktop's available bays, but he will likely need to buy tow 2.5" to 3.5" drive adapters to do so. Then use the software to clone.

Probably cheaper and easier to just buy the USB to SATA adapter... and more convenient if he does not have a desktop.

Larhalt

Estimable
Mar 17, 2014
Sorry I didn't clarify, it is a desktop, so I can do the cloning installing the new ssd directly to the motherboard... it's also great to know that win 10 comes with an option to roll-back to win 8.1 if needed! that's a huge relief! thank you both for your answers!!

mcnumpty23

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
yes can just connect the ssd to the motherboard

even without a ssd mounting point in the pc case you can just sit the ssd any where in the case

its solid state so doesnt matter how its positioned

though obviously you sit it somewhere its not going to fall about in the case if you move the pc case about