Solved! In search of replacement parts for Gateway NV79 Laptop

Apr 19, 2020
Hello!

I am interested in repairing my Gateway laptop so that I can use it after a few years of not being able to. As noted in the pictures below, the power button has completely fallen off, so I am not able to power it it on. I will also need to replace the silver hinge cover that keeps the button in place.

I have tried a few websites such as Ebay among other sites that advertise replacement parts. However, I find that the hinge cover I need isn't really sold as a replacement part. Help!

Thanks! :)

Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3

Solution
That button you can see isn't going to turn the machine on if it's out of position. The cheapest fix would be to go straight to the actual power button which is a micro switch on the motherboard. The plastic button only pushes that switch for you.

Pull that plastic button and use a pencil - DEFINITELY DO NOT use anything metallic - and you may need to grope around a little but you'll hit the button sometime.
That button you can see isn't going to turn the machine on if it's out of position. The cheapest fix would be to go straight to the actual power button which is a micro switch on the motherboard. The plastic button only pushes that switch for you.

Pull that plastic button and use a pencil - DEFINITELY DO NOT use anything metallic - and you may need to grope around a little but you'll hit the button sometime.

Solution