Incorrect hardware detection

Status
Not open for further replies.

pob444

Prominent
Dec 20, 2017
Greetings everyone,

I installed Windows 10 on an old, but perfectly working laptop (HP Pavillon DV6-3023ca). After that, the computer was running hot, the fan spinning fast and making a lot of noise. So I decided to do a fresh installation of Windows 7 (which is what it used to be). But the problem followed.

I think it might have something to do with hardware detection and drivers.

Indeed, it looks like 2 video cards are detected, but the one above (4250) should not be. It is not in the laptop, only the 5650. I also receive the following error message upon login. I deleted the incorrect device, but it is detected again when I open windows. This is after installing the drivers provided by HP for that model.

GOjm0Az.jpg

What should I do?

Solution
Point 1: Windows 10 is not even supported on that laptop model, only Windows 7 is supported. So you did all that "going round in a circle" for nothing -- it could have easily been avoided by checking OS compatibility before you embarked on your fruitless upgrade plan.

Point 2: Make sure you are installing the correct drivers for your exact laptop model.

Mark RM

Estimable
Jul 16, 2014

On all old notebooks the thermal paste hardens and no longer conducts heat away nicely, the heatpipes in the cooler slowly lose their vacuum and the vents get plugged with dust and fibres.

I just disassemble them and replace the cooling solution, thermal grease and fan all at once to save myself the pain of opening it twice.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-For-HP-dv6-6c73ca-dv6-6c16nr-dv6-6c57nr-dv6-6c43cl-Cpu-Fan-with-Heatsink/122369995920?hash=item1c7dd1f490:g:Up4AAOSwOgdYr-cc

Point 1: Windows 10 is not even supported on that laptop model, only Windows 7 is supported. So you did all that "going round in a circle" for nothing -- it could have easily been avoided by checking OS compatibility before you embarked on your fruitless upgrade plan.

Point 2: Make sure you are installing the correct drivers for your exact laptop model.

Solution

Mark RM

Estimable
Jul 16, 2014

Actually you should just restore Windows 7 from the restore media for the device.

This unit runs Windows 10 fine btw without HP driver support, but the upgrade does break graphic switching and you get stuck on the dGPU which obviously affects battery life.

pob444

Prominent
Dec 20, 2017
At the moment, Windows 7 is installed, with HP provided drivers for my exact model and the heat and noise issue is ongoing. (the issue came up suddenly, the difference is noticeable from one day to the other, so I doubt it is the thermal paste, which was change last year).

The restore media is not available anymore and HP download site is not providing it anymore.

I feel kind of stuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.