Increasing white noise/static coming from laptop while playing games.

Stutsies

Estimable
Feb 22, 2015
Hello.

I'm quite in a predicament here. I have an MSI GT70 2PE Dominator gaming laptop.
Every time I play a game[doesnt matter which one, ones demanding high specs and also with games that can run on toasters :p] after a couple of minutes I start hearing this increasing static, white noise coming from my speakers or headset. After a couple of moments it also sort of disables my microphone as well. IE When in in VoiP while playing a game, after the noise increases my mic also stops working.
I tried everything I could think of. Reinstall drives, format the laptop, all the little advice people give in other threads about this kind of problem. I also sent it into repairs and they said it was fixed but alas it still isnt. I tried using different power adapters and that doesnt seem to make a difference.
One interesting thing is that when I just play on batter power - no issues at all. As soon as I plug in the adapter - the noise start building up again.

Anyone has any ideas what might help?
Running Windows 8.1 and realtek audio for the sound.

Solution
I suppose it's possible that you're using older speakers/headset that has an incompatible combo jack. The different jack types will usually work together but I've seen a few cases where combo versus standard 3.5 or one of the other possible 3.5mm jacks has caused similar or worse issues. Double check to see that your audio cables have the correct type jack for your sound output. I'd also double check to see that your audio drivers are the correct and most recent version as outlined on the product page for your laptop model. Windows update often swaps out drivers with your intention to do so and can cause issues with some driver versions.

xf9q9t.jpg

There are also a few other similar versions and if for...
It sounds to me like there is a short in the power jack or charging cable. I'd replace the AC cable first and if that doesn't help I'd RMA the unit if it's still under warranty.

If it's not under warranty you may need to replace the internal power jack yourself.

Stutsies

Estimable
Feb 22, 2015
Thank you for the reply. I already tried with 2 new AC cables and I did send it in for repairs since it is still under warranty. They said it was a VGA card problem, so they replaced that but it didnt fix the issue.

I suppose it's possible that you're using older speakers/headset that has an incompatible combo jack. The different jack types will usually work together but I've seen a few cases where combo versus standard 3.5 or one of the other possible 3.5mm jacks has caused similar or worse issues. Double check to see that your audio cables have the correct type jack for your sound output. I'd also double check to see that your audio drivers are the correct and most recent version as outlined on the product page for your laptop model. Windows update often swaps out drivers with your intention to do so and can cause issues with some driver versions.

xf9q9t.jpg

There are also a few other similar versions and if for example, one of the wrong types of jacks has been used previously, it's entirely possible to have damaged the sound circuit to some degree. Not likely, but possible.

Solution

Stutsies

Estimable
Feb 22, 2015
Thank you for the detailed answer. I tried with different headsets and the problem persists. Also when I use laptops speakers. The workaround I found is using USB headphones.

I would definitely make the attempt to reinstall the OEM drivers for the sound. I've seen a lot of sound systems that did not want to function correctly with the native windows detected drivers or drivers that were installed from windows update that were supposedly "newer".