India Unveils Ultra-Cheap $60 Tablet For Students

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
12%?! Jeez, I knew they weren't a wealthy country, but that seems hard to believe. Maybe this will get more of them online.

And maybe one of them can translate that ridiculous Thriller parody for us.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Wow?! It's very cheap, so cheap I want one just so I can play around with it or try to overclock it.
You know you want to too...

noob_33

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Low power, but it's a very low cost as well. It's not meant for high-end use, but I'm sure those who need to type documents and such will be fine with it.

"...largely rural and deeply impoverished country."

Not necessarily. Yes, the country doesn't have many citizens with money to spend, but the country does have a successful economy that continues to grow, and some consider it's economy in better shape than the US'.

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
[citation][nom]Thunderfox[/nom]12%?! Jeez, I knew they weren't a wealthy country, but that seems hard to believe. Maybe this will get more of them online.And maybe one of them can translate that ridiculous Thriller parody for us.[/citation]
maybe only 12% but thats 12% of a billion people.

noob_33

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
[citation][nom]slicedtoad[/nom]maybe only 12% but thats 12% of a billion people.[/citation]
+1 to that. Twelve percent of India is about half the population of the US. It's a decent number at best :\

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]Azn Cracker[/nom]Most of the 12% are connected to the internet because they work at a call center.[/citation]

That's just wrong. ...but it funny hell. :)

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]Does rural India even have electricity?[/citation]
Well, rural India has electricity, just not 24 hrs. As a matter of fact, in many villages, it is only for 5-6 hrs a day.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Good product for India's current situation. Sure, not cutting edge stuff but I'm sure many are just happy (or bewildered) to have this kind of stuff.

G

I can consider to get it though... if its available on time in the local market. Things in India are far too complicated with the govt...

alyoshka

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
This so called promise from earlier this year was actually a promise from more then 7 years ago. By a different govt. and different minister. The deal didn't work out cos the PC was from Intel at that time and the Minister could not cut a deal with them to take half the cash back home instead of letting the rural kids get that stuff, so the deal went sour.
Now a new minister with a new company has the people sucking up to him with the same old stuff.
This has got to be the most ridiculous thing ever. Actual stats are:
65 Million Active internet users at any given time, 61 Million Regular users out of which 46 Million are urban and 16 Million are Rural users. The Census also say 4 in Every 5 people in India are daily internet users.... :)
This is another stupid Govt Scam working hand in hand with a company to siphon funds in the name of Rural Education.
50% of the people in Rural India can't use a calculator. Forget a tablet. even if it reaches them , it's going to be lying on the top of their refrigerators with the whole family and neighbors sitting around it and looking at the 7 inch massive screen ( cos the last one they saw in monochrome was the one on their cell phone) waiting for the channel to change.
Guy!! The day I get a snap of this sort of a scene , I'm going to post it online.

medhavi272

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Well to be clear this is a tablet not for stuff like HD Gaming or something else,but is for those graduates and postgraduates to help them in the studies ( ie by certain self developed android app ) and if u look at it that way its a way to spread interactive education (and that is what is currently the most major issue in human resource sector all over the world ).
And to many others INDIA is he worlds 4th richest country !!! XOXO

medhavi272

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
[citation][nom]Thunderfox[/nom]12%?! Jeez, I knew they weren't a wealthy country, but that seems hard to believe. Maybe this will get more of them online.And maybe one of them can translate that ridiculous Thriller parody for us.[/citation]
well INDIA has the 2nd best growth rate after China, Is the worlds 4th richest country, and will be the 2nd most richest country by 2030,
ie if there is no end of the world in 2012
:D

ksampanna

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
The author paints the picture of India as if it were some barren wasteland deep into the Sahara. Sure we have our problems but still, we are the world's 2nd fastest growing & 4th largest economy, poised to overtake the US by the first half of this century

achilles01

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Deeply Impoverished country??..the unqualified comment was uncalled for....the west seem not to disentangle itself from its oriental poverty stricken illusions about India. (many west countries are no better) We have grown leaps and bounds in last 2 decades and in all probability will continue growing much faster (for an economy of the size) in future too. I have lived in what is GEN Y, the mid 1980s till now, the transformation of India to say the least has been astounding.

mailpranshu

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
Its okay mate....bet all the users here still picture China as kung fu only and India as a place of elephants and snake charmers.
There is a fundamental change happening all over the world. The Chinese and the Indians are not going to bail the US out this time if it falls( example the $1.3 trillion US bonds China bought in 2008). Nor will Germany. They have enough problems with Europe as it is.
And I invite any one to come to any small town or city here as well. Indian users pay less than $25 per month for basic 1 Mbps unlimited connections.Its dirt cheap as it is.
This tablet is meant to make deeper online inroads. Not play Dead Space on!!!!!!
And scary fact again. Everything you are working on to type and see this text has been designed in India and made in China.( AMD/Intel + Mo-Bo/Ram/GPU)

Status
Not open for further replies.