Individual speakers for tv viewing.

Neu

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
I am looking for a speaker system that would allow my parents to have a speaker by each others side of the chair. Basically it would need to be able to put out the volume from the tv but each controllable for both parents. Price range between 50 to 100 per speaker. I do not want to have to get a receiver or anything of that nature. Just simply a speaker system that would be able to plug from the tv to the speaker and have enough boost to clearly hear it on there end. Wireless preferred but wires are not out of the question.

please be more specific:

what exact television? (so we can know what outputs/inputs it has)
what exact sources? (so we can know what outputs it has)
what will they be watching on what sources? (so we can figure out your options for connectivity in case your tv lacks outputs)

what i think would work:

-active (powered) speakers...
you can find them with a volume knob and they do not require an amp however will likely be mono only so you may need to combine the output channels from your sources to get the same sound to play out of each of them. they are also wired to your source unless you used a wireless transmitter/receiver on them which is possible.

-bluetooth or wireless speakers...
most are available with volume controls, they are wireless provided you have a wireless transmitter from your source and many have left/right channels which would make it easy connectivity. what might be

-mini soundbar...
there are small soundbars available such as ...this.... which have a volume knob and both left/right speakers which means easy control and easier hookup. there might be wireless ones but i'm not sure. you can convert to wireless if you use an adapter.

-mini stereo/hifi-system...
some versions of this type of system are an all-in-one unit setup not the seperate "speakers" and "control box" and provide both left and right channels of sound, and might be available with wireless or can be adapted to it with a transmitter/receiver.

-all in one type speaker...
while i'm not sure what you would call them... i've seen a few designs which have a left and right channel speaker in them, tweeter and a mini subwoofer... all powered with a volume knob on them. something of this nature may work however something also tells me that any designs like this might be too expensive for this application.

-using passive speakers with an amplifier such as this setup ...here... since they are fairly small and do not require a receiver or large amp. you could use a whole system (1amp, 2 speakers) each side or if need be you could use them in mono only and just put one mini amp and speaker on each side and connect the speaker up to both outputs. this would also be good on budget as you could do the whole setup for $75 if using in mono and then use the extra for a wireless adapter and your 3.5mm splitter