Infinite USB Plug. Someone Make This Now!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo matrix

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
[citation][nom]crosko42[/nom]Damn I have 129 devices and 1 usb port. This isn't helpful at all.[/citation]
The port itself can't support more than 128 devices. It's not this invention's limitation. It's USB.

alpinetim

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
not smart at all. What if you needed to unplug the first device in the chain or the second ect.? I have to unplug all the rest?

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
That's... actually kinda cool.
If I remember the USB 3.0 spec supplies more power, so that 'should' help somewhat.
May be useful for a laptop, but for a PC, I'd just get a hub.

drksilenc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
o i can see it now having to replace the usb controller of so many laptops because they are overloaded the joys of hard soder come to light

cj_online

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
lol wtf !!! i thought of this same thing !!! but with curved edges as an addition and lol i thought i was retarded or something for considering that even a possibility... lol i guess i was wrong.

G

some of you are missing the point that others have made. The part that plugs into the computer is not hardwired to a device. it would be a dongle type thing with a female end that you could plug a device into. that way, if you need to remove a device from the middle of the chain, you don't need to break the chain to do it. just unplug the device from dongle.

baddad

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
I have 8 DVD Carousel units that can be chained together but I have yet to have more then three on one port. It is not only a limitation of the hardware but of the OS as while.

brando56894

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009
I was about to post something up about how this doesnt make sense to me since I didnt see the cord protruding from the adapter since both the cord and background are both white.

Pretty cool idea.

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
My laptop cooler already has this for the fans. The cord blocks the adjacent port, so it might as well not have a passthrough at all in some circumstances. Also, it can make connectivity with other devices a bit dodgey. When my printer is connected through it, the computer can't see the built-in scanner at all. iPod had some trouble connecting to iTunes as well.

killerb255

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
This would be nice for USB 3.0, though, since it supports more bandwidth and outputs almost an amp of power (rather than 500mA w. USB 2.0).

G

Seeing that the device uses USB splitting as opposed to a USB hub, you'll end up with a bunchload of collisions when you start adding a few data hungry devices!
This design may work for a keyb, mouse, and perhaps an ext. floppy drive,
but don't try connecting a HD webcam with some ext SSD's and external monitor to this thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.