Infinite USB Plug. Someone Make This Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
'Although you can only daisy chain up to 128 devices'

Damn, and I thought the perfect solution had been invented, this is seriously going to hamper my USB efforts.

Seriously though, I probably haven't even touched a total of 128 different USB devices in my entire life.....

pepperman

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
What happens when your flash drive is transferring data on the end of the chain and you need to unplug your mp3 player (hypothetical situation which I think will come up)?

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Sometimes, the easiest of ideas takes a while cause people are too busy thinking outside the box. Thanks for thinking inside the box, Gonglue.

VWXYZ

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
whats at the end of the cable? a USB port? Or do we have to buy a specefic one of those for different devices?

probably just another USB... Just wondering.

darkxuy

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
Instead of devices with that conector, why not sell them as extension cords? you know, another female USB plug at the end of that cables.

half a great idea.

drethon

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
Um, how long of a cable is necessary once you daisychain that many devices together. USB can't run infinte length.

I prefer a hub as I can plug it into my PC and put it some place that might be more accessible for my devices. I have a full tower that is sitting beside my desk and to run a keyboard cable all the way behind my desk to my computer is too long for the cable. Instead I put a hub on my desktop by the monitor which is close enough for the hub to get to the computer and well accessible for my mouse, keyboard and other devices...

Just my bent $0.02

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
so they all plug into eachother, and then you have one MASSIVE stick of 128 usb plugs hanging off the side of your laptop, probably reaching the other end of your house / soccer field... does anybody else see a problem here??

nice going on ingenuity though!

SurJector

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
'Users with limited ports (such as on a laptop) won't be forced to hot-swap devices or purchase a USB hub.'

Except that the Infinite USB Plug *is* a hub with only two ports. There are fairly compact hubs that might be as effective and less expensive...

omygod711

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008
the footprint of this plug would block off access to the usb next to it. Also what if I want to remove something in the middle? I have to remove everything behind it. I dont think this is practical.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]pepperman[/nom]What happens when your flash drive is transferring data on the end of the chain and you need to unplug your mp3 player (hypothetical situation which I think will come up)?[/citation]
Unplug the mp3 player at the player side? Little peripherals have built-in cables.
[citation][nom]SurJector [/nom]Except that the Infinite USB Plug *is* a hub with only two ports. There are fairly compact hubs that might be as effective and less expensive...[/citation]
Less expensive than what? There isn't a price tag on it yet.

ram1009

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007
[citation][nom]pepperman[/nom]What happens when your flash drive is transferring data on the end of the chain and you need to unplug your mp3 player (hypothetical situation which I think will come up)?[/citation]

Unplug the other end???

ram1009

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007
I doubt these will be as useful as they appear. USB connectors aren't very secure and I can see the connection getting pretty flaky after several devices are daisy chained.

requiemsallure

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
mostly useless, when it comes to laptops on the go, who is going to bring that many USB devices with them when traveling, not saying it will not happen i am saying it is unlikely. however in the home this is nice enough... but i would just say get a desktop for home then you do not need this anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.