Infinity Ward Says Activision Created 'Police State'

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
While realistically we can't expect Infinity Ward to former or current to come up on top of this however I do believe that Activision hurt themselves more in the long run. Sure the CoD franchise will sell simply because of its name but for how long?

Now that the dev team of the franchise has been completely switched to the ones that made the lesser quality games we cannot expect the quality that made the franchise popular in the first place. The not so great CoD games made by Treyarch always came in-between IW's so even those who are ignorant to the fact that more than one dev team has made the series they will however buy the game hoping its as good as the IW releases which it never will be again. So yes Black Ops will sell well and perhaps the next game but just how long can they ride the franchise when it cannot live up to expectations anymore?

I believe Activision has induced a slow poison into the veins of the CoD series which will eventually kill it and they will discard it once it releases a game that simply tanks in sales.

lashton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
[citation][nom]waxdart[/nom]Never understood why people think abuse of staff is ok.It never gets the best out of people.[/citation]
especially for game developers, staff are your biggest asset, computer cannot develop games, treat your staff with respect cause it can (and often does) come back to bite you in the ass!

jdubsbooth

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
Every time I read something about Activision and Infinity Ward I start to wonder when Activision will do all of this crap to Blizzard...

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Activision may not care because it doesn't realize it's killing the goose that lays the golden eggs. When developers from your top franchise leave and become your competitor, it hurts your bottom line. Sure, Activision can have another group work on the next Modern Warfare, but it's probably not going to have the same quality, feel, and profitability.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
Wow all that for the most overrated game this generation. Everyone who bought it can give themselves a pat on the back for helping to make this drama possible!

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Well CFO Thomas, we'll see who'll be crying when Activision collapses. That's right, nobody likes Activision...we just deal with it because we have to.[/citation]

We don't "have" to deal with anything. All people have to do is stop buying their half-assed games.

G

AArg matey. Raise the skull n crossbones and set sail for them Activision waters as we have treasure to hunt.

The only companies that give out "Bonus Money" are the companies that conspire to receive government bailout money and IW should know this. IW will get their Bonus when gamers force CrAptivision to file for bancruptcy.

timbo

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
[citation][nom]megamanx00[/nom]Activision may not care because it doesn't realize it's killing the goose that lays the golden eggs. When developers from your top franchise leave and become your competitor, it hurts your bottom line. Sure, Activision can have another group work on the next Modern Warfare, but it's probably not going to have the same quality, feel, and profitability.[/citation]

No, Activision will not have anyone work on the next Modern Warfare, because Respawn Entertainment owns the rights to Modern Warfare. Activision may have someone work on another COD.

surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
...damn, and I really wanted to play MW3 for what happens next in the story....but now I cant buy another Activision game. I cant believe that they would have done this (not saying that I like Activision, just that this is the most scum bag thing that they could have done. The only real downside is that there arent that many publishers :-\ .

Although keep in mind that I have not bought, and refuse to buy an Activision game after they fired the creators of a top selling game, and the creators of a studio (seriously, how can you fire the guys from the studio they created. Not that they leagally cant, just that it doesnt seem "right").

timbo

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
[citation][nom]surfer1337dude[/nom]...damn, and I really wanted to play MW3 for what happens next in the story....but now I cant buy another Activision game.citation]

When Modern Warfare 3 is made, it will be made by Respawn Entertainment, not anyone employed by Activision. Black Ops is not a MW installment, it's a COD installment. Just like all of Treyarch's COD titles aren't MW installments, because what used to be Infinity Ward & what is now Respawn owns the rights to the MW franchise.

surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
[citation][nom]timbo[/nom][citation][nom]surfer1337dude[/nom]...damn, and I really wanted to play MW3 for what happens next in the story....but now I cant buy another Activision game.citation]When Modern Warfare 3 is made, it will be made by Respawn Entertainment, not anyone employed by Activision. Black Ops is not a MW installment, it's a COD installment. Just like all of Treyarch's COD titles aren't MW installments, because what used to be Infinity Ward & what is now Respawn owns the rights to the MW franchise.[/citation]
I know that the ex-execs for infinity ward claimed that they owned the rights to the MW franchise, but I didnt know if anything came from it (aka them winning a lawsuit or anything). Mainly because Activision wont just let go of the name (which Activision claimed to have ownership of the IP). Also it is a little disappointing that Respawn did not show anythign about a MW3 at E3 (instead they showed a whole different style game), which lead me to believe that either they are waiting for some kind of lawsuit to give me official rights over the IP of MW or that they want to spend extra time on the product...that or they dont own the IP. I would love to hear what happens though *crosses fingers in favor of Respawn*

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
And this is why there is sooo few pc games out nowadays the developers always get shafted by publishers it happens more and more often that is why activision thought they could get away with corporate blackmail.
They really need to make laws against this they always seem to get away with it.

gomi

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Activision has proven to be totally clueless till now. Just look at how they thought a modern era combat game would not be successful so they kept putting out WW2 era games until the advent of Cod 4.
Once they see the success of Cod 4 they decide to capitalize on it but totally blow the game by not having dedicated servers and make you pay through the nose for map packs.
Activision represents all that is wrong in the gaming industry.

Mysteic

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
If any company I work for tells me in the context related to a bonus I am owed and over due on....I walk on the spot.

Mysteic

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Also, any one who things Activision or any gaming company has the money to by Blizzard, is just foolish. That is like saying the local corner store just bought Wal-mart.

The word merger was used because Activision employees were not at risk of being fired or replaced. Vivendi is the one who bought both companies and merged them into 1 holding company.

Status
Not open for further replies.