Infinity Ward Says Activision Created 'Police State'

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]tpho2500[/nom]Good, now I'm not buying Black ops. Activision has done enough. There's nothing they can do to resent. It's up to us. We have to stop buying games from Activision.[/citation]
I'm fairly sure that the Black Ops will do poorly. The Call of Duty games coming from the Treyarch camp are all of (in my opinion) significantly lesser quality for the CoD games coming from Infinity Ward.
BUT, then again, most people don't even know the CoD games have two different developers, nor do they care, so Black Ops might sell well just because of the "Call of Duty" name and the rep that Modern Warfare 2 achieved (at least in the console market).

Anyway, I do think that if any game can beat Black Ops, it will be Medal of Honor. We'll see.

timbo

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
The crew let their unhappiness be known at nothing less than the E3 press event stage demonstration. Look what the lead multiplayer designer names the clasees he creates as he demonstrates on the big screen: Skepticism, Pessimism, Fear.
You can see this in the last few seconds of the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cWSNhWixuE

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
[citation][nom]waxdart[/nom]Never understood why people think abuse of staff is ok.It never gets the best out of people.[/citation]

that's why you abuse them after a work well done.

The employees who walked early on instead of holding out for the bonus can at least retain some pride and dignity.

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
This sounds a bit over the top to me. Sounds like the German Gaustaupl. But call centers I worked at had similar atmosphere. So, I cause it is plausible.

dgingeri

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
This sounds just like some corporate executives I've known. They don't care about longevity, they just want immediate results.

These are the type of guys who would rather clearcut the entire pacific NW in order to make numbers instead of farming the forests properly, planting new trees in place of old ones and creating a sustainable situation.

In other words, they'd rather make $500 now than $5000 over the next 6 months. They're stupid enough to kill their revenue stream just for immediate numbers.

guys like this don't deserve jobs. They deserve to be booted out on the street.

G

It's really a small percentage of gamers that actually care how these gaming companies treat their employees. Passionate gamers(gaming is their primary hobby) care, but we're not the target demographic anyway.

When it comes to the video game industry, Bobby Kotick is the devil. From a PR and reputation standpoint, he's the worst thing that could ever happen to a development studio. From a business perspective though, this man is pure gold.

In the end it is not the consumer who decides the direction of a company, it's the shareholders. We'd do well to remember that.

razercultmember1

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
[citation][nom]bin1127[/nom]that's why you abuse them after a work well done. The employees who walked early on instead of holding out for the bonus can at least retain some pride and dignity.[/citation]

If it was contractual then that would be fine, but the way its being described its like the Gestapo and the Cultural Revolution of China had a baby...

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]I'm fairly sure that the Black Ops will do poorly. The Call of Duty games coming from the Treyarch camp are all of (in my opinion) significantly lesser quality for the CoD games coming from Infinity Ward.BUT, then again, most people don't even know the CoD games have two different developers, nor do they care, so Black Ops might sell well just because of the "Call of Duty" name and the rep that Modern Warfare 2 achieved (at least in the console market).Anyway, I do think that if any game can beat Black Ops, it will be Medal of Honor. We'll see.[/citation]
I thought BFBC2 already beat it? Funner to me at least. But BF2 was still the best...
[citation][nom]dgingeri[/nom]This sounds just like some corporate executives I've known. They don't care about longevity, they just want immediate results. These are the type of guys who would rather clearcut the entire pacific NW in order to make numbers instead of farming the forests properly, planting new trees in place of old ones and creating a sustainable situation. In other words, they'd rather make $500 now than $5000 over the next 6 months. They're stupid enough to kill their revenue stream just for immediate numbers.guys like this don't deserve jobs. They deserve to be booted out on the street.[/citation]
My boss' boss should be booted with you as the immediate replacement. With the kind of 'investing' they do, it's no wonder we nearly went bankrupt last year.

Nakal

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
[citation][nom]balister[/nom]Sounds like Vivendi needs to step in and clean house on the Activision-Blizzard board since they're the principle owners of the company.[/citation]

I thought Activision also owned Blizzard? I know they "merged" but I was always under the impression Activision got the bigger piece of pie there.

oneeyed

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
It's sad, because most of the people who play Modern Warfare, don't care about any of this. Activision will win this battle, and the little guy will be forced to join another big corporation.

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
Add Activision to the growing list of companies (EA Sports and EA anyone?)screwing over the PC user. The same companies for whom the PC gamer was the one that made them who they are today. That's right, cater to the console nitwits who can't be bothered to learn how to configure and use a computer.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Well CFO Thomas, we'll see who'll be crying when Activision collapses. That's right, nobody likes Activision...we just deal with it because we have to.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
How dare he tell middle class workers to "get over" the bonus thing. They made the best selling game of all time, dont they deserve their promised bonus and more?! I mean Activision is probably swimming in money and wiping their asses with benjamins! Theres no excuse for holding back money. And the overpriced map pack has been on #1 Steam for about a week.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Nakal[/nom]I thought Activision also owned Blizzard? I know they "merged" but I was always under the impression Activision got the bigger piece of pie there.[/citation]

Yeah from what I understand, Blizzard employees report directly to Activision employees. You can see clear changes in World of Warcraft policies after the merger. Pets & Mounts for $10 / $25, server transfers for $25 available all the time. Character appearance changes for $10. Race changes for $25. etc. None of this was really available until after the merger. Server transfers were, but had something like a 6 month cooldown. It now has a 1 day cooldown or something.

The funny thing is, people actually pay for the pets, mounts, server transfers, race changes, spending hundreds more on a game they've already spent hundreds on. Activision wins.

The next thing coming is gold selling. Activision will want to cash in on what all the hackers and farmers are making money on.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]JWL3[/nom]Add Activision to the growing list of companies (EA Sports and EA anyone?)screwing over the PC user. The same companies for whom the PC gamer was the one that made them who they are today. That's right, cater to the console nitwits who can't be bothered to learn how to configure and use a computer.[/citation]
Oh, try not to hate on EA that much, their really doing better this year. They put they have a bunch of free good games and their releasing a boatload of great pc games this year. Dead Space 2, Crysis 2, new sims, spore, and Dragon Age 2. Thats a few great games made for pc users. The DRM is a problem, but the pc games their releasing are awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS