Insignia 43-Inch 4K Fire TV Edition Review: The First Good Amazon TV

Apr 20, 2019
I just received this TV today. I am shocked at how wonderful it is. The screen, the sound, for less than $200 on Amazon. The UI is wonderful, the remote is responsive to voice and input. It works great (several apps, anyway) with my Echo device in the room. I am completely floored at the quality and user experience of this cheap TV. I would've felt like a fool if I spent more on this, as it's just for my bedroom.

May 26, 2019
I'm TV shopping and the Insignia Fire got my attention. We're interested in the 55" version. Does that share the same qualities as the 43" version? I like that it has the headphone output, which many lack, and still has a built in tuner. Is the off-center viewing angle as bad and bothersome as the Tom's review suggests?

Apr 20, 2019
I haven't noticed any issue with viewing the screen off-center. I have it up on the wall in the bedroom (side wall) with an articulating mount and view it from the bed at an obvious angle without any problem at all. It's hilarious to admit but it's probably the best overall TV I've ever owned and I've had some extremely expensive units. No, the blacks and contrast aren't the best ever. But for the price it's simply unbelievable. The menus are great and the system is extremely responsive. It's more responsive than my Apple TV, XBOX One X, or cable box. Very fluid and quick, which is so nice. Yes, the 55" has the 1/8 inch audio out. You could install a bluetooth transmitter (about $35 on Amazon) and use wireless bluetooth headphones with it if you like. It's identical to the smaller units, except it's even thinner. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase this, and for the price you could put one in every room.

The only complaint I've really seen that has any merit is the obvious inclusion of Amazon services. This is an Amazon Fire TV so if you're not in that ecosystem or don't want to be, I wouldn't get it. I have a lot of Echo devices, order from them practically daily, etc. so I'm embedded pretty well in all that and it works great (can use an Echo device to control it or the voice remote it comes with). Some people said there were ads and stuff for Amazon but I haven't seen that at all - I think they were misunderstanding what was being offered on the screen as far as subscribing to Starz, Acorn TV, etc. through the tv itself, which isn't required but is presented as an option when you select those channels. Nothing obtrusive at all about it, and if you do sign up for these (or are already subscribed) it integrates extremely beautifully, even creating a guide of sorts for all your channels. I know I sound like an idiot this tv but that's just how much I like it. Hope this helps!

Reactions: gfmucci

KidHorn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
I bought the 43" version. It doesn't have a great picture, but for the $179 I paid, it's good enough.

One gripe is I use arc to a yamaha receiver and the volume bar for the TV at the top of the screen is constantly popping up. I assume the TV detects minor volume changes and pops up. It's annoying and I don't think there's a way to turn it off. Not sure if this is endemic to all receivers or just my Yamaha.