Question Can you have two streaming devices connected to AV receiver at same time?

MiketheDilletante

Commendable
Jul 30, 2021
Hi there. My boyfriend has had his home theater system set up very simply: his Yamaha AV reviewer connects to this LG TV via ARC, and the Amazon Fire Cube is plugged into the receiver’s HDMI “in” port. It works fine, everyone was happy.

But then he decides to connect an Apple TV 4K he had lying around,
He ended up connecting the Apple TV to one of the receiver’s other “in” ports.
Now whenever I turn on the system using the Alexa remote, I notice the Yamaha’s display struggling with its input. And although the TV displays the Fire TV home page, it’s only up for a few seconds before the Apple TV homepage pops up. I can get the Fire TV up and running no problem after this. But it’s just…annoying, that it happens in the first place.

I spent an embarrassing amount trying to see if there was a solution to this (I’ve read so many articles and I don’t know if I need a switch or a splitter.

I understand the concept of having the dominant streamer (Fire Cube) with some peripherals (a console, blu ray player, maybe even a cable box). But can two streamers coexist on a home theater system?

MiketheDilletante

Commendable
Jul 30, 2021
Sounds like the issue is with the default first port it sees not the streaming system. It may be detecting a signal from both devices that are always on and is just trying to decide what to do with it.
Just to clarify, the “default first port” means the HDMI input port that the Fire Cube is connected to?
I do think the Yamaha struggles with what to do with both devices; when I turn on the Cube using the Alexa remote, the Apple TV turns on automatically (and also never seems to go to sleep…). I guess another route is to solve how to not send a power signal to the Apple TV whenever the home theater system turns on (unless of course it’s turned on by the Siri remote).