Inspiron 1545 touchpad freezing

decipherfreak

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
Newly bought dell inspiron 1545 laptop has touchpad issues, randomly unresponsive (not related to any particular action). Returns to normal after logging out and back in (unresponsive even in login screen). Drivers are updated. Is this a hardware issue? There is no button or keyboard shortcut to disable touchpad.

THanks

ampedal

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
"Returns to normal after logging out and back in (unresponsive even in login screen)"

sounds like a software issue.

there is a small chance that it is a hardware issue - in which case you could purchase the appropriate touch-pad for your model laptop on eBay. They are one of the cheapest replacement parts for a laptop!

the_quick20

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
I have the same problem. It doesn't matter what I'm doing the touchpad and/or the keyboard (though the touchpad is a much worse problem) can be randomly unresponsive for a few seconds (or in the keyboard's case, for a key or two). If I had to guess, I would say it was actually a processor problem. It is seemingly unaffected by what I'm running, though. I've played with startup and tried the new ALPS driver, but these have not helped. Before I buy a new touchpad (in case it's hardware, which I doubt, I wonder if there are any other possible solutions out there?