Inspiron 1720 No Post. Two beeps, new ram, new MB.

joblog

Commendable
May 25, 2016
Hi
I have an Inspiron 1720 (PP22X). I have replaced the motherboard. I have disconnected everything except the fan, the speaker, the RAM and the hard drive.

When I plug in the power jack the blue power LED lights up, the HDD LED lights up briefly and there is a delay of about thirty seconds after which I hear two beeps. That is all. The two beeps are not repeated. This happens with both the old and the new motherboards and old and new ram. Every possible combination.

Any ideas? Any help greatly appreciated

Hi,

According to Dell's support page the 2 short beeps means there's no RAM detected. You've pretty much tried reseating and trying each old and new RAM's but will still not work so another place to look for would be the motherboard. I would say that you've pretty much done all the possible troubleshooting steps that should have identified the problem but it's weird that even the new motherboard will have the same problem. Please do try replacing the new motherboard first and go from there.

joblog

Commendable
May 25, 2016

Thanks very much for getting back so quickly on this.

Like I say I have tried all sorts of RAM combinations on both the old and new motherboards. There are slots for RAM on both top and bottom of the motherboard and I've tried both on each board.

The only faint hope I have that it might be something else is that, while Dell says 2 short beeps means no RAM is detected, the way I read what Dell says is that the two beeps should be repeated indefinitely. I only get them once.

Very odd. Thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS