Inspiron 7559 Warning: The battery cannot be identified

Apr 15, 2018
I've had this laptop for about a year and a half, and it's been working in pristine condition up until about a month or so ago. I suddenly kept getting the error message above when booting, and for a couple days would go between recognizing the battery, sometimes charging, then eventually not recognizing a battery plugged in at all. I ordered a new one.

New one's been working for about 3 weeks just fine, but now it's starting to show the same symptoms. It's started to turn off at random before I took the battery out and put it back in. Right now it's giving me the error message again, but as I'm writing this, can still be used off the charger. It just won't charge (63% available, plugged in, not charging)

I just now reinstalled the BIOS and then back to 1.2.7 or whatever is current, it didn't change anything.

I'd really like some guidance on what to do at this point, I really don't want to waste $80 on another battery.

Edit: To further complicate matters, I tried my old battery again and it's suddenly doing the same thing, can boot without the AC now but still acts like it's unrecognized and on critical power.

Solution
Okay...miraculously, I fixed it. I feel really dumb, and quite embarrassed so just bear with me in case someone else arrives at this problem too, since it really does seem pretty common to this brand of laptop.

I saw a picture of how the battery is SUPPOSED to look, and noticed the battery cable looked far more...plugged in than mine. So I simply switched the cable around and noticed it fit more snugly into the battery side. And now it works.

Now to be fair, this slightly ajar plugged in cable was how the laptop came originally when I took the first battery out, I even had to get a new cable because one of ports was blackened and scary. I could never get it to fit properly in the new one going based off of how it was in there...
Apr 15, 2018
Yeah, the warranty ended last year. I looked into extending it, but that's also very expensive. I wanted to see if I could narrow down the problem and see if it's something they could even help me with before I shell out another $100 on a warranty.

I had a little panic this morning when it did something new, I booted it like normal, nothing seemed to be working, restarted and along with the battery not recognized error it told me it wasn't recognizing the AC adapter either. I took it out and put it back in and that fixed it (the AC adapter at least) but it's concerning.

Looking around a little bit, it seems the problem might be with the motherboard? Could it be anything else? If it is the motherboard, will Dell cover it if I extend my warranty? Getting a new one is about as expensive as this laptop itself cost...something I cannot do right now.

Yes it may be the motherboard if a good battery did not work, or maybe just the charging port or electronics that go to it. That laptop is from 2015, would be easier and about the same cost to just swap out for a working used model and swap drives if you need to do work on it. I don't know if the charging port is on a separate daughter board off the motherboard, that may be pretty cheap to swap out.

Apr 15, 2018
Okay...miraculously, I fixed it. I feel really dumb, and quite embarrassed so just bear with me in case someone else arrives at this problem too, since it really does seem pretty common to this brand of laptop.

I saw a picture of how the battery is SUPPOSED to look, and noticed the battery cable looked far more...plugged in than mine. So I simply switched the cable around and noticed it fit more snugly into the battery side. And now it works.

Now to be fair, this slightly ajar plugged in cable was how the laptop came originally when I took the first battery out, I even had to get a new cable because one of ports was blackened and scary. I could never get it to fit properly in the new one going based off of how it was in there originally, which as I understand it now, is wrong.

Very embarrassing, easy fix. I'd like to swallow my pride and mention this in case others followed my same logic and haven't plugged their Inspiron 7559 battery in snugly because it originally came looking like that.

Solution