Inspiron e1505 screen dark

Daniellef

Honorable
May 17, 2013
I guess I'm haveing some of the same problems but I'm going to start from the begining. The computer would turn on and be ok then over a few minutes one side would go very dark and the other side would be Fine. So I replaced the whole screen and now the whole screen is very dark I can still see the stuff on the screen if I pretty much lay it out flat.. But it's still dark. What do u think the problem could be?

markwp

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
Are you able to still see the image on screen, even if it is dark?

Does the laptop output through vga to a standalone monitor correctly?

When you replaced the screen, did you replace the inverter board and/or the ccfl backlight?

Mark

Daniellef

Honorable
May 17, 2013
First let me say thank you for answering me. Yes if you plug it into a monitor u can see everything fine. U will have to excuse me I don't know much about the term. When I replaced the screen I just took the two plugs and just plugged it in to the new parts that were on the screen..not sure what u mean by the inverter board..where would that be?

Daniellef

Honorable
May 17, 2013
Wait I just looked up what inverter board is and that came on the new screen so it was replaced too..from my old screen and my new screen there was one attached to both

markwp

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
The inverter board is a small (~1/2" x 4") board that usually sits on the bottom of the lcd screen and is encased in see through plastic. The purpose of this board is to change the low dc voltage supplied by your laptop into high voltage ac that is used by the ccfl (backlight). The ccfl is a very small fluorescent tube that is typically located at the bottom of the lcd, but above the inverter. It will be in a little tubular "nook" and will have two wires going to the inverter. Think of the combination as the ballast and lamp of an overhead fluorescent light.

If you are able to see an image on your laptop, even if it is very dark, and an image on an external monitor, your problem is generally a sign of the backlight (ccfl) not powering up all the way. This can be caused by (1) a faulty tube, or (2) a faulty inverter or both.

Since your screen was "half dark" then all dark, I think this is probably the issue - know how when a fluorescent starts to go out and one end turns black or doesn't light up?

If you decide to change this yourself (not very hard), you will need a soldering iron to connect the inverter to the ccfl. BE SURE TO DISCHARGE YOUR LAPTOP BEFORE MESSING WITH THE INVERTER - big time voltage across the terminals.

Take out the battery, remove charger, press power on for 5 seconds or so to discharge.

Mark

markwp

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013

If they in fact gave you a new inverter, did they also use a new ccfl?