Install a desktop power supply to a laptop?

jzopp1983

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
My laptop battery went bad, and then followed the power outlet, (the port where you would normally plug in the power supply,) so I was wondering if it would be at all possible to rewire my laptop so it can be plugged into a regular desktop power supply without frying the motherboard? I understand that the block on a laptop power supply allocates a certain amount of wattage and voltage to different parts of the laptop, and also tells the current which way to go so it won't have interfierance and give too much or too little power to different parts of the laptop, is this correct? I would like a discussion and solutions if it is possible, thank you

I understand that the block on a laptop power supply allocates a certain amount of wattage and voltage to different parts of the laptop, and also tells the current which way to go so it won't have interfierance and give too much or too little power to different parts of the laptop, is this correct?

Not really. The power supply for a laptop is just a simple constant voltage supply; everything complicated is in the laptop, because the same voltages have to be produced whether running off the power supply or battery.

Your best option would just be to solder the cord straight onto the PCB, where the socket is. Or get a new socket and solder it in place - in some laptops it's even just a plug.

jzopp1983

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
So that would take care of the wattage and voltage problem, ingenious idea, so if I were to cut the end off the original power supply, it would have the four wires already there to hardwire straight to the motherboard?