install windows and new hard drive at the same time

ellautho

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017
My laptop (daughter's) hard drive is fried; it won't boot at all, not even with an Windows ISO file on USB. I need to replace the hard drive - bought a new Samsung SSD 850 EVO - and install a brand new copy of Windows 10 at the same time. The laptop was a gift from her uncle and we don't have the old Windows CD or USB copy. Here's my plan:
1. Install the new SSD - done; I don't have a CD drive to utilize the installation CD provided with the new hard drive
2. Put in the new Windows 10 USB
3. Fire it up - will this work? What am I missing?
4. Connect to the old drive via USB to SATA connector and move the data to the new drive

J

Solution
1. Before inserting the USB, start the computer to see if it recognizes the new disk. If both the laptop and the SSD are new, it shouldn't be a problem, but do a test boot all the same. You'll get a message that No OS is detected. If you can access the BIOS, the disk will show up there, but it's not strictly necessary to do this.

2. Shut down the computer and insert the USB.

3. Fire up the computer and be patient; this is going to take some time. The spinning Windows twirl will appear, and it could be several minutes before anything happens.

4. Follow the instructions. Select Clean Install when asked. Ignore the request for a product key - you can select Skip this step and enter it later on.

5. When Windows Setup says it needs to...
1. Before inserting the USB, start the computer to see if it recognizes the new disk. If both the laptop and the SSD are new, it shouldn't be a problem, but do a test boot all the same. You'll get a message that No OS is detected. If you can access the BIOS, the disk will show up there, but it's not strictly necessary to do this.

2. Shut down the computer and insert the USB.

3. Fire up the computer and be patient; this is going to take some time. The spinning Windows twirl will appear, and it could be several minutes before anything happens.

4. Follow the instructions. Select Clean Install when asked. Ignore the request for a product key - you can select Skip this step and enter it later on.

5. When Windows Setup says it needs to restart, you'll see a count-down bar. Pay attention, and the moment the count-down bar hits zero and the screen goes black, remove the USB! This is important because if you're too late, the system will detect 2 bootable drives and most likely send the computer into an installation loop.

6. Once Windows 10 has been successfully installed, go to Settings>Update & security>Activation and enter the product key. This may take some time because the activation server needs to establish that your old hard disk is no longer active.

Best of luck,
GreyCatz.

Solution

ellautho

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017

Thanks GreyCatz - i used your steps; everything worked well. On a a follow up: tried to connect to the old drive externally via USB to SATA adapter to see if I could access it and transfer files. No luck

I'm glad it worked out well. About your follow-up: I think it's because you were attempting to clone your hard drive. You're actually half-way there - you just need to install a cloning program.

If you do a Google search, you'll find that some of these programs are freeware, but as with most other software, the paid-for versions are usually easier to work with and have more features.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.