Installed bad graphics driver

Matthew_203

Commendable
Dec 26, 2016
I was recently installing Windows 7 on a Dell Inspiron 5559 laptop. I got it installed, then went to Dell's website to download the drivers for it. After installing one of the drivers, the screen stopped working, but the laptop still clearly runs. I can hear it reach the log-in screen and I can enter the password and reach the desktop.

I've tried to reach the BIOS, but the screen is still blank at that screen as well as during start-up. I've tried plugging it into a monitor, but it doesn't display anything either. I believe I downloaded the wrong driver and would like to bring the system back to a fresh install, but that seems impossible if there's no display. Is there any fix for this problem?

Solution
Try this...

Turn off the laptop. Connect an external monitor. Turn on the external monitor and then turn on the laptop.

If you can see on the external monitors screen, then I would be checking the drivers and if that is OK, that leaves the display itself or the ribbon cable that connects it as the problems.

If you can't see anything on the external monitor either, then the graphics card/GPU is your problem and will need replacing, which may also mean replacing the motherboard.
Try this...

Turn off the laptop. Connect an external monitor. Turn on the external monitor and then turn on the laptop.

If you can see on the external monitors screen, then I would be checking the drivers and if that is OK, that leaves the display itself or the ribbon cable that connects it as the problems.

If you can't see anything on the external monitor either, then the graphics card/GPU is your problem and will need replacing, which may also mean replacing the motherboard.

Solution