Installing an optical drive in a Acer laptop.

veladem

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
Was wondering what type of optical drive I'd need for an Acer laptop model; Acer Aspire e5-573g-52g3.

Would it be possible to get a Blu Ray RW drive?

Thanks.

Solution

As you probably already know, you'll need to remove the screw circled in red in this photo:

You can then use your fingers to pull the "spacer" where the optical drive goes out. Hopefully, the spacer has a faceplate that can be removed from the rest of the assembly, and can then be snapped onto your new optical drive before installation. I'm assuming the faceplate doesn't have an eject button, but you can eject the drive after installing it by locating it in "my pc" and right clicking on the drive icon, and...

Have you made sure that there is a connector for an optical drive inside the laptop (I'm pretty sure there is)?

As you probably already know, you'll need to remove the screw circled in red in this photo:

You can then use your fingers to pull the "spacer" where the optical drive goes out. Hopefully, the spacer has a faceplate that can be removed from the rest of the assembly, and can then be snapped onto your new optical drive before installation. I'm assuming the faceplate doesn't have an eject button, but you can eject the drive after installing it by locating it in "my pc" and right clicking on the drive icon, and selecting "eject".

I've tried looking at various photos of your laptop, but I can't tell if you need a 12.7mm or 9.5mm drive. Hopefully you can tell once you take the spacer out, or maybe someone else with the laptop can chime in here. Here is a link to laptop Blu-ray drives:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_10?url=search-alias%3Dreplacement-parts&field-keywords=laptop+blu+ray+drive&sprefix=laptop+blu%2Caps%2C210

You'll have to weed through the choices to find an RW Blu-ray drive (I didn't get that specific when searching).

Maybe even Acer could tell you the height of the drive needed. Perhaps they could also sell you a faceplate with an eject button if you feel the need for one.

Solution

veladem

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
Thanks man, yeah, I'm down to size and what faceplate. I'm almost certain it doesn't come with a usable faceplate sadly. Guess I'll have to wait for it in the mail. I'll try a couple of my friend old laptops optical drives also.

TRENDING THREADS