Installing Microsoft Silverlight without administrative privileges?

Status
Not open for further replies.

singh246

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2008
I am trying to install Silverlight 2 on a networked computer. I first run the .exe and up comes a message asking whether I want to run as admin. Obviously I can't because I don't know the password. I run it as myself. Up comes Microsoft Silverlight with 'install now'. I click on that but it just says it needs administrative privileges to install.

Is there a way round this?

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
no, why are you trying to install silverlight on a protected network computer (infact why would you want to install silverlight on anything?)

singh246

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2008

So I can watch Sky Player at college

G

This kind of commentary is useless and leads nowhere.

First of all why installing Silverlight or Flash on a protected network should necessarily be bad? Most network administrators are security freaks! Security is important but before forbidding any access in the name of "security" administrators should be analyzing what is really a potential risk for the network and what is not. Flash or Silverlight are technologies that have been conceived with a high security concern (sand box, security messages, user warnings etc.) In my opinion, those technologies are the web of tomorrow. Any user should be able to activate them (or not) without any kind of privilege. It's like requiring administrator privileges to let your browser interpret HTML! Come on it's time to evolve and accept that RIA technologies are part of the web as much as HTML is.

Secondly, before discrediting a technology: Have you tried it? Have you explored its possibilities? Silverlight is a young technology that needs to be matured, however you would be surprised to see what it can do considering its age. It's already a serious Flash/Flex competitor and I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes the leader of the RIA market.

I'm not a Silverlight freak, actually I've been using Flash and Flex for a long time. But it doesn't prevent me from trying the new stuff coming out. It's not always good but at least I give it a chance! Let's stop being so narrow minded please...

G

Dude, if you don't have an answer to help the guy or me, for that matter than don't even say anything. Nothing is wrong with Netflix at work or school. I've seen people watch a lot worse at school and work. I've looked all over the place and can't seem to find an answer. I am sure there is a way to circumvent admin and I will find out and come back with an answer, anyone out there with a real helpful answer feel free to chime in or shut the front door. Don't be a cogitation perihperealositive subjectatory nincknackama with bilaterial congivteas and the like for caca!

G

You're a shaggy bottome ninny with no compassion. We should work together to help people and you don't know how to share. I bet you're sad and alone, aren't you? *sigh. You obviously don't know the answer to the question. Go home! We don't wanna play with you anymore. You're no fun! Go to the library and just sit in the corner of the sci-fi section with a NerdWeekly Mag and drink your apple juice, even though apple juice is really bad for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.