Intel 4600 HD but Nvidia GeForce sticker on laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

ldr4

Estimable
Apr 28, 2014
Just wondering why there's a Nvidia GeForce sticker on my laptop? I have the HP Envy 17j. Device Manager says intel 4600 but I'm just wondering why else would the sticker be on my laptop? Not sure if it's something like nvidia optimus or something.

Deus Gladiorum

Honorable
Jun 29, 2013
Likely because you have both. On your Intel CPU is what's known as an "integrated" GPU, or a GPU that's built into the processor and is standard with all Intel chips these days. However, in addition to that, there's an actual GPU chip from Nvidia also inside. If you keep searching, device manager should list it somewhere. Most games will also automatically utilize it. If you'd like to confirm, go to your laptop's driver support page and see if they list Nvidia drivers.

ldr4

Estimable
Apr 28, 2014

I also have nv_agp nvstor and nvraid in my system drivers also nvidia can't detect any drivers on my computer.

ldr4

Estimable
Apr 28, 2014

dxdiag says intel hd 4600; ran that already. dev manager has intel listed as well =\

badhomaks

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Hmm, could be that the laptop is not detecting the graphics card for some reason. Not much to do there considering it's a laptop, you could try to install an older version of the driver but that's about it.

robnelovera

Estimable
Aug 9, 2014
Im having the same issue but with a 15tj100 Envy laptop, which is confusing, probably the HP reps would suggest some fix on this, because I dont believe all models are sold with the Nvidia sticker on the case, that would be fake advertising and they can get in trouble.

Deus Gladiorum

Honorable
Jun 29, 2013
Thanks for reviving this actually, as I think I may now have the solution (apologies to the OP, I forgot about this thread). Now that I work in IT, I've encountered something very similar to this. Restart your PC and go into the BIOS (usually upon start up, keep hitting F2, though the key may vary). Depending on your BIOS, you may have to go to a "configuration" tab to find what we're looking for, but regardless, we're looking for something that says something along the lines of "display". Once you've found something that says something along those lines (it might say "video" instead, for example) go in and make sure that dedicated graphics is enabled. If "Nvidia Optimus" is listed as an option, I think you should enable that as well, though that's just for power saving reasons.

If either the OP or robnelovera has trouble navigating the BIOS, try taking screenshots with a smartphone or something and uploading those screenshots to imgur or something like that, where you can then link us here.

robnelovera

Estimable
Aug 9, 2014

Hey, I already got into the Bios but seems like theres no video option on it, have to say looks like its pretty closed to make changes because I've seen less options on it.

I guess they are Just selling pcs with nvidia stickers on their cases and those arent into the laptop, which is fake advertising...

Deus Gladiorum

Honorable
Jun 29, 2013
I doubt it -- they'd definitely be caught by now. There's something else amiss, because reviews certainly don't point out that problem, and something as big as that would cause people to be in an uproar. What's under your "System Configuration" tab in the BIOS? There's no "switchable graphics" option? And there's no Nvidia Control Panel on your desktop? Also, sorry, my email isn't getting updates for this thread -_-

Flint355

Estimable
Aug 15, 2014

Flint355

Estimable
Aug 15, 2014
same thing is happening with me i got a envy j100 there's absolutely no sign what so ever of a nvidia geforce gpu (except the sticker) ran the BIOS but i have no options for graphics at all. nothing at all in device manager ive spent hours trying to find it but nope im thinking it is false advertising its a shame since a geforce would b nice since this laptop has great specs execpt it cant play games higher than normal because of crappy intel gpu

Flint355

Estimable
Aug 15, 2014

Download the following program called Speccy. It should detect all the hardware installed on your laptop. Click the GPU section to see if the nVidia GTX 850m is installed. It should be listed even if it is inactive.

https://www.piriform.com/speccy

=======================================================

I am looking at HP's site for the laptop. Going into the customization page, the nVidia GTX 850m is combined with the dual core i7-4510u CPU which has the Intel HD 4400 integrated graphics core. If your laptop only has the Intel HD 4600 graphics core, then it would seem that your laptop has a quad core i7-4710HQ CPU. That is probably done to keep heat and power consumption low because the combination of an i7-4710HQ and nVidia GTX 850m could mean that laptop would run very hot when playing games.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/search-SimpleOfferSearch?SearchTerm=ENVY17

It seems you may be a victim of mislabeling. A nVidia sticker was placed on your laptop when in fact it does not have a nVidia GPU installed. Whether that was intentionally placed there by the store or it accidental was placed there in HP's automated production line prior to shipping is unknown.

Just wanted to point out that I find HP's configuration site a bit odd...

They charge $30 to downgrade from a quad core i7-4710HQ to the dual core i5-4510u which also has a weaker integrated graphics core (Intel HD 4400 instead of the HD 4600). Yes, the lower power consuming CPU means longer battery life, but still....

kk83kim

Estimable
Dec 10, 2014
I have the exact same issue.
No solution to it.
Nvidia sticker on the laptop, but absolutely no Nvidia graphic card inside the laptop.
And I found numerous other people posting this same issue with this laptop.
False advertisement for sure.
Anyone brought this issue to HP?
Got it solved?
We should at least receive a new laptop with the Nvidia graphic card at the least.

Melmione

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016
I know this is an old topic, but I recently encountered the same issue on my HP Envy 15t-j100. I contacted HP, and they told me the sticker is referring to "the driver for the HDMI connection to a TV or Media center" and not a GPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.