Intel Core i3-7100U (nVidia GTX 940MX) vs Intel Core i5-7200U (Intel HD 620) - non-gaming

May 30, 2018
Hello!

I have my search for a new laptop narrowed down to the following too options:

Intel Core i3-7100U, 1 TB, 8 GB, nVidia GTX 940MX
Intel Core i5-7200U, 2 TB , 8 GB, Intel HD 620

I'm mostly looking for a productivity based laptop, for office use, and occasional movie streaming. As I am planning to load a virtual machine so as to use Win10 and XP at the same time, I want the laptop to be fast with no overheating. No gaming at all.

Which one do you think will be best?

Many thanks!

Solution
No. For a (more) ideal solution, I'd look for a 4c/8t (i7 w/hyperthreading) over a 2/4 or 4/4.

BUT, memory plays a part too - so if the tradeoff is a drop to 4GB* then the 2/4 with 8GB still makes the most sense IMO.

*Unless you could upgrade the RAM to 8GB in the near future.
Both are dual-core w/hyper threading.

The i3 is 2.4GHz.... the i5 is 2.5GHz and will boost to 3.1GHz.

As a productivity machine, of the two, the i5 should make the most sense.

For basic office use and movie streaming (even in 4K), either would be fine.

From a heat standpoint, both CPUs are 15W TDP chips. Obviously, the i3 laptop needs to cool the 940MX also.

Driver availability is going to be limited/minimal for XP though, keep that in mind.

Neither are ideal for VMs with the limited cores/threads, but all things considered, the i5 seems more fit for purpose.

May 30, 2018
Thanks Barty1884!

To run a VM, do you think I should better look for a laptop with 4 cores even if it has 4Gb RAM instead of 8Gb (so as to be within the same price range)?

No. For a (more) ideal solution, I'd look for a 4c/8t (i7 w/hyperthreading) over a 2/4 or 4/4.

BUT, memory plays a part too - so if the tradeoff is a drop to 4GB* then the 2/4 with 8GB still makes the most sense IMO.

*Unless you could upgrade the RAM to 8GB in the near future.

Solution