Intel HD 4400 outperforms 970m

GX700R

Estimable
Oct 12, 2015
I've recently purchased an Alienware 17 R2 with base specs (i7 4710HQ 2.5ghz/3.5ghz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 970m 3GB VRAM, 8GB RAM) hoping that it would be a really good laptop for school/work and some games. I won't be building a custom PC for myself yet, but I have built probably 4 times for some friends and relatives, I just plan on playing a bit of ArmA and Minecraft with at least 60fps. I feel that my hopes are crushed. My Alienware runs Minecraft with about 30fps on a HIGH PERFORMANCE NVIDIA processor, AND 120fps with integrated graphics. Guys, this is starting to get super weird. I've placed Java as high priority, set the power option to high performance, disabled V-Sync, even right clicked Minecraft and selecting 970m as primary graphics and nothing worked at all. I don't plan on using integrated grapics, even though running shaders with 60fps. I know the 970m could do better than this. Actually, before I updated the GeForce drivers I had around 80fps, after updating I got 30fps. I really really need your help guys, and thank you so much in advance. God bless

Hi,

There are only 2 things you can try and hopefully this would help fixing that issue.
- Try and download the latest Java for you PC. http://java.com/en/
- Uninstall the graphics card driver from Device Manager same goes in Programs and Feature anything related to NVIDIA.
- Download and install the latest driver from NVIDIA support site.
- Here's the link: nvidia.com/download/index.aspx
- Reboot the laptop and make sure that your NVIDIA card is set to run Minecraft then try running the game with it.

GX700R

Estimable
Oct 12, 2015
@Laptop_Nerd man I'm really sorry. I've tried doing those steps but still my FPS hasn't increased significantly (well on Integrated I now get 220fps vs 120fps last time). Thanks a lot for your effort, I really appreciate it. I'll be borrowing my cousin's GPU (GTX 950) and Graphics Amplifier to see if anything changes since the 950's performance is probably close to the 960m.