intel i5 4200 vs intel i3 6100

sandeep113

Prominent
Mar 27, 2017
i m planning to buy a laptop.when i went to store i found that intel i5 4th gen was exactly of same price compared to i3 6th gen with all the other specs identical.
which one should i go for.i m not a gamer.just need the laptop for my buisness need

Solution
Overall, performance should be pretty close. The i5-4200u can turbo boost up to 2.6GHz, but has a base clockspeed of 1.6GHz. As long as the CPU does not get too hot it can turbo boost up to 2.6GHz when one core is used or about 2.4GHz when both cores are used. The i3-6100u simply has a base clockspeed of 2.3GHz.

The both cores can operate base clockspeed unless the CPU is simply overheating and needs to downclock itself to prevent damage. Therefore, the difference between the two CPUs when both cores are being used and when the i5-4200u is not running too hot to prevent the CPU from turbo boosting up to 2.4GHz is basically 0.1GHz (100MHz). The improvement in CPU architecture from 4th gen to 6th gen further marginalizes the difference...
Overall, performance should be pretty close. The i5-4200u can turbo boost up to 2.6GHz, but has a base clockspeed of 1.6GHz. As long as the CPU does not get too hot it can turbo boost up to 2.6GHz when one core is used or about 2.4GHz when both cores are used. The i3-6100u simply has a base clockspeed of 2.3GHz.

The both cores can operate base clockspeed unless the CPU is simply overheating and needs to downclock itself to prevent damage. Therefore, the difference between the two CPUs when both cores are being used and when the i5-4200u is not running too hot to prevent the CPU from turbo boosting up to 2.4GHz is basically 0.1GHz (100MHz). The improvement in CPU architecture from 4th gen to 6th gen further marginalizes the difference in performance.

Between the two, I would simply choose the i3-6100u since there no thermal threshold preventing the CPU to operate at 2.3GHz (since there is no Turbo Boost) unless the CPU itself is simply operating too hot and needs to download to prevent damage. The i3-6100u is also has slightly better power efficiency so all thing being equal a laptop with the i3-6100u can probably have around 30 minutes better battery life than with the i5-4200u.

Solution