Intel Porting Android 3.0 ''Honeycomb'' to x86

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogman_1234

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
x86 needs to be ousted. Sure it is still modern, but there needs to be a more robust architecture now. We need to move on. Quantum physics won't play catch up with you Intel.

osxsier

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
x86 needs to be ousted. Sure it is still modern, but there needs to be a more robust architecture now. We need to move on. Quantum physics won't play catch up with you Intel.

Spare me. Quantum computing is not coming to a desktop near you anytime soon.

iam2thecrowe

Distinguished
[citation][nom]danwat1234[/nom]So basically, Intel has to figure out how to re-compile all of the Android operating system to the X86 instruction set?[/citation]
Just a guess, but they probably have the resources to handle that. Its just a version of linux after all.

KBentley57

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008

Intel creates silicon with planted defects on the order of nanometers every day. They know quantum mechanics, trust me. In fact, modern processors use quantum principals already. You can't ignore the wave nature of electrons at these levels. Go learn something about science!

G

They already showed phones running Gingerbread and Froyo in various trade shows and notably at WMC in Barcelona last February. So yes they must be building Android on x86 for a while now. x86 is NOT not robust. Intel entered late smart phone late, although when they were heavy in the flash business, they have far reaching influence in the early samrt phones. IMO Meego will be used on vehicle systems, set top boxes and anything that needs a customized UI.

G

lulz! the comments on this tread are priceless. Gee.. I wonder if they can run Java on x86? hmmm.

G

danwat1234, it's not as simple as re-compiling. The x86 is a variable-length opcode CPU, while ARM uses fixed-length 32-bit instructions. The x86 is also an interrupt-driven architecture that relies on several off-chip components on the motherboard to achieve the full system. While this is true for ARM as well, it's not true to the extent it is with x86 as ARM CPUs are often SoC's (system on chip, which comprises everything on a single die, hence their lower power and lower total cost of ownership).

Intel has not had a CPU that can meet the performance and power threshold held by ARM's highest-end CPUs. This is an attempt by Intel to use its x86 market dominance to enter the market currently dominated by ARM. And the sad thing is, it will probably work for them, which means far more expensive products for users as ARM CPUs have a license of less than $1 per CPU, and a manufacturing cost that is fractional to Intel's lowest Atom-based CPUs available today.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Nvidia tried for a while to get x86 license, despite their claims of not wanting to enter the CPU market. When they gave up, they got ARM, a CPU chip. With Android going strong, future of it being mixed with Chrome OS, with Linux that can do anything, and with Windows 8 going ARM, Intel is guessing it's loosing value as x86 holder. Because many programmers have hinted at the CPU being just a controller of the rest of the operations, with the heavy muscle being put on the GPU. As it stands, Nvidia will manage to pull it into a perfect goal.
Far fetched but still, a possibility, ARM might dethrone x86 completely, all applications being made to run on ARM+GPGPU. Intel needing to buy license to run ARM instruction set.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
It seems Intel has already an ARM license. :)
Still, having x86 so under control proves beneficial to them more than going the ARM way, my guess, and that's why they are trying to make Android go x86.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
So Intel is porting Android to X86
This announced after Microsoft said it will have Windows 8 running on ARM

Is this Intel reacting to potential loss of sales by lurching to the opposition?

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]WyomingKnott[/nom]I think it's running on the chair at my desk, though.[/citation]
Excellet!!

Now we can say there is a problem on the quantum computer between the chair and the keyboard. Still I am only using your words, your quote is the really excellent one.

Status
Not open for further replies.