Intermittent screen static

Josh_53

Estimable
Jan 20, 2016
I have a problem with some static looking artifacts on my laptop screen. A while back there was some damage to the left hinge that has the cable going from the screen to the motherboard, and I thought this issue may be related, but the damage was there for a while and this issue just started.

I went ahead and disassembled my laptop to take a look at that cable, and there doesn't appear to be damage. I played around and wiggled both ends of this cable and it does not affect the artifacts.

I just assumed this was hardware related, but the strange thing is that the artifacts look different on certain screens, for example my start screen in Win 8, and all bootup screens. They are still present, but to a much less degree, and some screens not present at all.

I tested the the HDMI output to my TV and everything looks fine there.

This is what it looks like most of the time on the desktop: http://puu.sh/mDrS9/f5d91a643d.jpg
But I can switch right over to the start screen and most of it's gone: http://puu.sh/mDrTs/d076a15c30.jpg

Does anyone have an opinion of whether this is hardware or software related? Any solutions?

Hi,

Since it's working normally using an external monitor that means it's a hardware problem, the ribbon cables that connects the LCD to the motherboard to be precise. What you can do to solve the problem would be to replace the ribbon cable itself or open the laptop and make sure that the ribbon cables are seated properly into the motherboard. Here are also some troubleshooting steps for software issue just to be sure.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the graphics card driver.
- Open Programs and Features and uninstall anything related to your graphics card.
- Next is to download and install the latest graphics card driver from the manufacturers site.
- Reboot your laptop once the latest driver has been installed then test it again.
- If all these will not work definitely you'll need to replace the ribbon cable.