Solved! internal laptop mic disabled when i plug in headphones

Feb 16, 2020
Realtek hd audio manager does not exist in my files. How to I tell my laptop that the headphone I plugged in doesn't have a mic

Solution
Then I would say it is the port, or the system just is not set up to separate the two (headphone and mic). It happens.

You could try, as a work around, and see if connecting through a USB port instead, using a 3.5mm to USB adapter would resolve the problem. They are pretty cheap and often have less problems than using the 3.5mm port.

I would still suggest testing your headphones on another device as well, to see if you get the same problem.

Good Luck.
Try the following...
  1. Go to "Control Panel".
  2. Click on "Sound".
  3. Click the "Recording" tab.
  4. Click on the device you are trying to set as the main device for sound.
  5. Once you have made your changes, then click "Apply" and then "OK".
  6. Then click "OK", again, on the main "Sound window".

Feb 16, 2020
Try the following...
  1. Go to "Control Panel".
  2. Click on "Sound".
  3. Click the "Recording" tab.
  4. Click on the device you are trying to set as the main device for sound.
  5. Once you have made your changes, then click "Apply" and then "OK".
  6. Then click "OK", again, on the main "Sound window".
The only device in the sound->recording is "Realtek Microphone Array", it works when my headphones are plugged out but when I plug them in its quiet (but no other mics show up)

Feb 16, 2020
I am wondering if there is a problem with the port you are connecting through, or, the headphones you are using, do they actually have a mic but it is either not working or you don't want to use it? Or are they just straight up headphones?
I cant test the port, because all the headphones I have are mic attached. ive heard that if a no mic headphone Is plugged in it uses the laptop mic
My headphones have a detachable mic but I don't want to use it

You could try attaching the mic, then (while it is on) go into the same location I mentioned before and set the mic with the headset as the default. Save it, then while still all attached, change it to the laptops mic as the default. If it is 'stuck' so to speak, that should resolve it.

Feb 16, 2020
You could try attaching the mic, then (while it is on) go into the same location I mentioned before and set the mic with the headset as the default. Save it, then while still all attached, change it to the laptops mic as the default. If it is 'stuck' so to speak, that should resolve it.
Thanks for following up, but irrespective of whether the mic is plugged into my headphones or not the only thing that shows is "Realtek microphone array" and it is always on default.

So when the other one is connected it doesn't show?

If that is the case, then there may well be a fault either in the driver, or the way the headset works. I would suggest updating the driver (to whatever the manufacturer has for your specific computer only) and also testing the headset on another device to see if you get the same issue.

Then I would say it is the port, or the system just is not set up to separate the two (headphone and mic). It happens.

You could try, as a work around, and see if connecting through a USB port instead, using a 3.5mm to USB adapter would resolve the problem. They are pretty cheap and often have less problems than using the 3.5mm port.

I would still suggest testing your headphones on another device as well, to see if you get the same problem.

Good Luck.

Solution