Internet Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

Status
Not open for further replies.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
The Nobel peace prize is a joke. Why not just give the peace prize to the atomic bomb? It ended WWII and may have prevented WWIII from breaking out.

G

On behalf of the internet (a series of tubes) I accept this award.

thorkle

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Why so cynical? I believe it is kind of weird, but that it is proper still. the $1.5 million should go to maintaining the internet, seriously, the internet needs more maintenance.

azconnie

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]The Nobel peace prize is a joke. Why not just give the peace prize to the atomic bomb? It ended WWII and may have prevented WWIII from breaking out.[/citation]

Amazing isn't it? The pinaccle of human peacemaking is a weapon so terrible it can annihalate an entire country.

Si vis pacem, para bellum (If you wish for peace, prepare for war) - Vegetius

But back on topic, the internet is nothing. It is a soul-less compilation of machines (This is my PC. There are many like it, but this one is MINE!). By all philosophical means, "peace" is an interpretation of denying animal instinct. Survival, and all it entails, cannot exist without violance, direct or indirect. To quote Darwin "Adapt or die." To me the masure of a good person, a good life form is the tanacity to survive. Survival only comes from a passion for life, and machines can't do that.

By this logic, peace means death. Humans are concidered the only truly sentiant beings on this little rock, and we are the most efficient killers. So then what is peace? How can we reward anything with the capacity to live for peace? And before you answer, aren't martyrs looked down upon in western society?

Sorry, I'm in a preacy mood this evening. Didn't mean to offend anyone.

thorkle

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]azconnie[/nom]Amazing isn't it? The pinaccle of human peacemaking is a weapon so terrible it can annihalate an entire country.Si vis pacem, para bellum (If you wish for peace, prepare for war) - VegetiusBut back on topic, the internet is nothing. It is a soul-less compilation of machines (This is my PC. There are many like it, but this one is MINE!). By all philosophical means, "peace" is an interpretation of denying animal instinct. Survival, and all it entails, cannot exist without violance, direct or indirect. To quote Darwin "Adapt or die." To me the masure of a good person, a good life form is the tanacity to survive. Survival only comes from a passion for life, and machines can't do that.By this logic, peace means death. Humans are concidered the only truly sentiant beings on this little rock, and we are the most efficient killers. So then what is peace? How can we reward anything with the capacity to live for peace? And before you answer, aren't martyrs looked down upon in western society?Sorry, I'm in a preacy mood this evening. Didn't mean to offend anyone.[/citation]
I understand your sentiments, but I feel they are based on the conception that people have no natural morals. I believe civilization would not have been able to survive in any amount of progression if there wasn't some inherent good in all of us. Peace is not merely living in competition with your instincts, rather it is living in harmony with them, and everything around you. Chaos is exactly what you are talking about. We live in an age where a tenacity for survival is becoming unneeded, rather a tenacity to progress perspectives, and understanding will allow one to truly excel and allow a peaceful productive overall happy existence. the world is not this dark brooding place where you have to constantly be ready to take some phantom opponent out. Getting back to the topic at hand, the internet may be merely a tool, but without it there are many positive things that could not be done. The internet receiving the Nobel Peace prize is more of a symbolic representation of the progress of people all over the world than giving a prize to a nonliving entity.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Several weeks ago the world was taken by surprise as an Egyptian dictatorship was toppled by a social media revolution. Although the internet has its share of bad, it's hard to overlook the good that has come from the internet.

Oh yes, how amazing was that? A social media revolution indeed..no banking cartels behind it; no private, off-shore interests. No biased media coverage creating - as opposed to reporting - news. Yes, it's so hard to not recognise the perfect world in which we live, isn't it. I'm so glad the politicians and the corporations don't influence what we say and do on the Internet, and they they champion the American Constitution, the Bill of Rights..our freedoms, our right to political dissent. My God what a completely perfect world it is.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Well it's a better candidate than President Obama was. At least it had to do something related to peace to get nominated, not just be an ethnic minority and win an election.

capt_taco

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Hell, the Internet's done more to earn a Nobel Prize than Obama. I mean, apparently all you need to do is wish there was peace.

every_one

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
Several weeks ago the world was taken by surprise as an Egyptian dictatorship was toppled by a social media revolution.

The Egyptian dictatorship wasn't toppled by a "media revolution." It was toppled by thousands of people willing to make a stand for something they believe in; giving anything but minimal credit to a bunch of bloggers and pundits is ridiculous.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]Well it's a better candidate than President Obama was. At least it had to do something related to peace to get nominated, not just be an ethnic minority and win an election.[/citation]

Im pretty sure it had a lot more do to with who would have won if he didn't.. There are times when one side is just way to wrong to be pres that the other side just has to win.. Look at bush vs Dukakis. It just couldn't have turned out any other way.

Anyways i don't see the issue with this nomination put the money into something that can help people if the Internet wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS